Costco recipe: Chocolate Fudge Avocado Cake

(Edith) #1

Costco has a cake recipe in their magazine this month that could possibly be turned into a keto cake. It uses almond flour, eggs, and avocado in the cake recipe. It also uses one cup of honey. Any suggestions on what might work as a sweetener substitute for the honey?

Edith

PS
It also uses avocado in the frosting.
I am intrigued.

A cup of honey is verrrrry sweet! (Also, in ayurveda, honey is never supposed to be cooked as it turns into a toxin - and instead the raw honey is used in interesting ways - anyway, I digress). However, a cup of intense sweetness divided up into dense almonds and eggs probably disperses well.

It’s worth experimenting with - maybe a half cup erythritol and a full cup xylitol??? Ideally, pure monk fruit (not all the brands that say they’re monk fruit but only add a tiny bit to what is basically an erythritol sweetener etc), but that stuff is expensive - a cup of it will cost you arouns 8-10 bucks!

I bet there are folks here who are experts on mixing stevia with other keto friendly sweeteners in ways that heighten the sweetness but don’t overpower.

Hope you can experiment and report back!!! Maybe just do half-recipe little cakes till you figure out the perfect alchemy…:cake: There are times when a wonderful keto friendly cake can celebrate so much!

(Don) #3

I’ve been very intrigued with using avocados in cooking. Seems like a really good ingredient to keep things moist.

I think the mailman stole my Costco magazine so I guess I need to grab one from the store next time I go.

(Edith) #4

I guess my concern for the substitution is that honey is liquid, so what to use instead of honey that could not only replace the sweetness but also the liquid. Yes, I shall experiment. Maybe add more fat.

(Fast Freddy) #5

I dislike the use of art sweeteners and tend to shy away from deserts

Would love a desert recipe using NO sweeteners at all - I have a high tolerance to NON sweetened foods - I love 100% cacao chocolate and don’t mind the bitterness :slight_smile:
Cheers

(Candy Lind) #6

2-1/2 years late to the party here, but I bet the Sukrin syrups would sub well for honey. I just might give this a try if I can locate the recipe!