Cost difference of CAC scan

(Bruce) #1

Everything I read says that a CAC scan costs about $100-$150. I live in the UK and can only find quotes for around £500!
I don’t have this sort of money to spare but can get a blood test to test inflammation markers, triglycerides, HDL, LDL and A1C; cost £150. Any suggestions? Sorry if this is on the wrong department, couldn’t think where to put it.

(Bob M) #2

Unfortunately, the CAC scan tells you actual amount of calcification. Anything else is just a guess, and a bad one at that.

That seems awfully high, though.

(Christian) #3

I recently made a cacs at berlin. Costed ~310 Euro. If you are interested I can send you an address.

(Bruce) #4

It might be cheaper to fly there and get one than to have it here! Bizarre. I’ll have to do some more research and get more quotes. My osteopath knows a cheap CT place he sends his clients to which is not local but much cheaper than elsewhere apparently!

(Bill Pletke) #5

I had one done last month in Kansas City for $50. 2% calcium buildup. I’m 70 so it’s great to have one less thing trying to kill me. Of course, I’ll probably get hit by a bus next week. I’m such an optimist.

(Bruce) #6

I feel a trip across the pond to Kansas for a cheap CT scan. Even including the airfare!!!

(Bob M) #7

Go to NYC instead, and if necessary take the train into CT or NJ or upstate NY. You owe it to yourself to see NYC.

(bulkbiker) #8

Rivers Hospital Hertfordshire £225 (or at least it was last year when I had mine done).
You can self refer so don’t even need to trouble your GP.
https://www.rivershospital.co.uk/treatments/ct-calcium-scoring

(Bruce) #9

Thanks. Maybe just a drive across country then if nothing better priced turns up!

Thats exactly what we did. We got 2 scans and a night in a hotel for a fraction more than the cost of a single scan at other places. And yes, we went to Rivers Hospital.

(Troy) #11

Nice topic!
I was Just recently looking in to a CAC Scan ( U.S. )

Not new info for many on the forum
Nonetheless, Great info resource here :smile:

From Dr. Mike Eades

http://www.thefatemperor.com/search?q=CAC

By the way, I just had a CAC scan, and insurance covered it.

Originally, they told me it was not covered and I was prepared to pay the full $150 at Los Alamitos MRI outside of Los Angeles (highly recommend this facility). But but by having a cardiologist prescribe the test (under duress), it got covered.

Probably a mistake – they’ll read this post and back charge me.

(Troy) #13

Nice! omgosh😳
Small world

Name of facility please, is it called Los Alamitos MRI?
sorry

I’m guessing somewhere off of Katella Ave?:thinking:
I Grew up and lived right by there!
I’m still fairly close

I think this is it:

I don’t think they will accept self-referrals – this is why I originally sought out a cardiologist. Glad I did - he put me through a battery of other tests including ultrasounds, so it worked out well.

(Troy) #15

Thanks again @Daves_Not_Here
Yup…off of Katella :smile:
I’m very familiar w the area
Awesome

I had one done in Wichita, Kansas for $50 also. Ridiculous cheap.

I also had a score of 2 but my only lesion is in “The Widowmaker” artery.

Still, a CAC score of 2 is pretty low.