Correlation vs. causation, this time - gluten

(betsy.rome) #1

Another study, not about keto but gluten-free diets. This one concludes,
“Our findings show that gluten restriction has no benefit, at least in terms of heart health, for people without celiac disease. In fact, it may cause some harm if they follow a low-gluten diet that is particularly low in whole grains because those grains appear to have a protective effect against heart disease.”,
and “Adjusted analysis showed there was no significant association between gluten intake and coronary heart disease.”

Why is it that they still associate grain consumption with lower heart disease risk? Are there facts here, or is it their bias? What would be the comparison between SAD diet, gluten-free diet and ketogenic diet on heart disease? Is keto better for our hearts? I have friends who are GF, and they eat lots of other grains and a lot of sugar to compensate for the lack of wheat in their diet.

http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=library&Number=373593&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=&vc=&utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Click&utm_campaign=2200

Study info: Gluten-free diet could increase cardiovascular risk in people without celiac disease
Lebwohl B, et al. BMJ. 2017;doi:10.1136/bmj.j1892.
May 2, 2017

Research based on epidemiology is useless for determining final conclusion. it is useful for determining a hypothesis, which then needs to be tested for validity.

(John) #3

Yeah these always say may, appear, seems to, or correlates. It is all hypothetical until you test that one specific condition in a well designed experiment. The first part of the quote is fine, you found no benefit. The second part is poopoo.

(Fran) #4

The SAD includes all foods. gluten free diets exclude everything that has gluten but sugar is gluten free, so is rice and potato and the starches and flours made from those things. These all provoke an insulin response, and too much insulin is at the root of metabolic issues. Keto is MUCH better for your heart. It actually makes the heart work more efficiently.

I’ve been gluten free and keto for about 5 years and my heart is just fine.

(Brad) #5

Please stop with this breaking news, you are not a good journalist.
http://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/2017/05/18/its-impossible-to-be-fat-but-fit-study-3-5m-people-finds.html