Coronovirus Prediction

(Utility Muffin Research Kitchen) #135

We’re juggling several balls here. What you wrote is true. But it may not be the whole truth. What follows is a conjecture.

People with insulin resistance have very likely problems to store glucose as glycogen (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18220643). Thus, they do have a different glucose metabolism – glucose has to come mostly from the blood, and if it isn’t there they get hypo. With the results from the study linked above that carb consumption may be beneficial if you have contracted a virus, this could contribute to a higher death rate because diabetics essentially can’t use carbs unless they eat almost constantly.

The keto effects are mostly from prevention: A stronger immune system and a better microbiome will make it likely that the immune system can fend it off. This will undoubtedly make keto people much more resistant to all infections. However, if the virus does multiply, then ketones may or may not be beneficial.

Bottom line: People on keto will be less likely to see an outbreak of the virus, but if they do, I’m not sure that they have better or worse chances than non-keto people.

(Krissanne Zaldua) #136

In response to AtomicSpaceBunny’s reply:

Wow, this sickness behaviour study is so useful and interesting - have you found any more research about this? I have found very little but I would be interested in discussing it more!

The copper idea is interesting and maybe useful during an outbreak, but surely the copper can’t select for ‘dangerous’ vs helpful microbes and therefore may not be a regular strategy?

Fruno - your study link does make more sense in human models - I admit most of Peter at hyperlipid’s discussion is over my head but evidently good science - -

Thank you for posting …
Krissie

(Joey) #137

…I think I follow you… but only to a point.

By definition, wouldn’t a stronger immune system necessarily make for a better outcome (i.e., less extensive degree of invasion by a virus and/or a faster recovery)?

Viral and bacterial populations are pervasive. It’s rarely an all-or-nothing situation in confronting germs since we’re “bathing” in them on a continuous basis.

So it’s the state of our immune systems - robust or otherwise - that typically determine our state of health since we don’t live in a sterile field. In fact, without a flourishing gut microbiome, we’d likely be dead.

If “keto people” do indeed have a more robust immune system than “non-keto people” it seems to follow that keto people’s chances against COVID-19 would be better, no?

(Ethan) #138

Italy experienced 368 COVID-19 deaths in the last 24 hours. With that pace continues (no further daily increases), that would be 132,000 deaths a year. How does that smell to you now?

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #139

I’d rather not get the Corona Virus, but for that matter, I’d rather not get sick from anything, even a cold. But I do believe that if I were to get the Corona Virus, Id kick its a$$. But to be quite honest, I’m FAR MORE concerned about the impacts of the Corona Virus on the economy. Im actually doing okay right now… but everything is hanging by a thread ! One small change, and I wont be able to pay my bills. Scary !

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #140

An Effective Treatment for Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Presented by: Thomas R. Broker, PhD (Stanford PhD), James M. Todaro, MD (Columbia MD) and Gregory J. Rigano, Esq.
In consultation with Stanford University School of Medicine, UAB School of Medicine and National Academy of Sciences researchers.

March 13, 2020

Full

Gin and tonic?

Question about Coronovirus?
(Scott) #141

Italy is a basket case, their medical system freaks each year with the flu anyway as I have been told and their open border policy with the rest of Europe didn’t help either.

The EU is a collection of small countries that act together like our states. The EU is a lot smaller than the US. By your logic, we should close all state borders in the US. Good luck with that!

(Scott) #143

Please don’t think that I am implying that anyone is superior over another personally or by country. If you can’t control what is coming into your country over the border than anything including Coronavirus can come in. It is what the definition of what a sovereign country is. Big nation, small nation, state, city or town you can close what you want but it is international travelers that have to bring it in first so limit that. Once it is in it becomes much more local and becomes just that, a local issue.

(Bunny) #144

I got the idea from hospitals that replaced all there door handles and things people touch with copper and they noticed the infection rates went down in there own hospitals rather than providing hand sanitizers they spent the money on copper?

Creating face masks or a small copper wire mesh filter of a certain micron would be a great addition to respirator type mask and maybe a semi-disposable type.

(Scott) #145

Now everybody has green hand though.

(Bunny) #146

Copper has to be properly cleaned and maintained.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #147

(Bunny) #148

Victims of a Self-fulfilling Prophecy?

Our Walmart has been stripped, nothing left!

(Jane) #149

I think so, too and believe the economic impact will be far worse than the health impact.

(Jane) #150

So Italy is expected to have a fatality rate 42 times that of China? Why is that?

I feel sorry for the families of those who have died of Covid-19 in Italy so far. I also feel sorry for the 66,000 families who lost loved ones to the regular flu last year.

(Jane) #151

Ours looks mostly normal. Pet food aisle not bare but hit hard (kind-hearted folks looking after their fur babies :two_hearts:) and paper towels. Other than that not much difference.

Maybe folks around here don’t have the extra $$$ to stock up. Or they are smarter than they sound when they talk and stay stocked up all the time!
:woman_shrugging:

(Bunny) #152

I wonder about that, what about the 34,200-something people that died last year of the flu?

I got that one to but it didn’t kill me luckily, I think that was the worst flu I ever had in my life.

Guess we should of started freaking out last year?

I guess we know which politicians we will not be voting for next year?

References:

[1] “…So how do these numbers compare to flu deaths in previous years? So far, it looks like the 2019-2020 death toll won’t be as high as it was in the 2017-2018 season, when 61,000 deaths were linked to the virus. However, it could equal or surpass the 2018-2019 season’s 34,200 flu-related deaths. Overall, the CDC estimates that 12,000 and 61,000 deaths annually since 2010 can be blamed on the flu. Globally, the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that the flu kills 290,000 to 650,000 people per year. …” …More

(Ellenor Bjornsdottir) #153

Paracetamol is an antipyretic, not an anti-inflammatory.

Last I heard of body temperature values, 98.6 was a pre-febrile state.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #154