Corned Beef... it turned out good!

(Brian) #1

I decided to try something new for New Year’s. A friend of mine had mentioned about a month ago that she was making some corned beef. I never did get to try some, can’t remember why, but I got to poking around the internet to find a way to make just a piece of meat into corned beef. I found a nice piece of chuck on sale so I figured, why not?!! Found this recipe online:

I was really pretty apprehensive about how it was gonna turn out. That was a LOT of spices. And I’ve not been used to using so much coriander. (Actually, I didn’t use quite as much as the recipe called for on the final rub because I ran out. But it was still a lot of it.)

It soaked for maybe 8 days or so in it’s brine. Then it got the rub and got it’s sous vide at 140 for about 50 hours or so.

When I cut it up for New Year’s dinner, I was worried about whether it would even be good. I sliced it thin. Tasted a little bit. Hmm. That was pretty good. Tasted a little more. Dang, this is good! Tender, juicy, loaded with flavor.

It was a big hit! It was eaten, lots of seconds, some thirds, and several even wanted to take a few little pieces home with them. That’s unusual. They didn’t take quite all of it, there was enough for steak and eggs for breakfast this morning. But it’s gone now.

I may try again, perhaps playing with the seasonings a bit. But the long brine put a LOT of flavor, and I’m guessing moisture, into the meat, both of which I really liked.

Anyway, just sharing. Hoping this year will allow me to add a smoker to the stable of meat cooking tools to make it even better. But if not, sous vide is really, really good.

:slight_smile:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

I love to use a fatty cut of brisket and after cooking trim that fat and some meat scraps and make some corned beef hash with radish “potatoes” and onions. Grind some of the mix in a food processor and add salt, White pepper and I have no fear of adding some MSG as well. Tastes better than any canned crap with some poached or basted eggs on top.

(Brian) #3

I hadn’t thought of hash, David, but that sounds good! Will have to make some more corned beef… :slight_smile:

(Karen) #4

Fantastic. I love your story and I love corned beef. The Rest of the year I don’t buy any. I usually buy two flats at St. Patrick’s Day. I will admit when I used to eat corned beef what I liked best was the onions, carrots and the potatoes. Mostly because they were flavored and salty from soaking in with the corn to beef while cooking. I’m thinking cauliflower being cooked in with the corn beef and mashed with loads of butter would be just as good. Maybe some dikon radishes.

(Bob M) #5

I plan on using this recipe this year:

(Running from stupidity) #6

Awesome result, that.

The ChefSteps stuff is usually spot-on, I trust them a fair bit.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

And don’t forget the cabbage Karen!

(Melissa Marie) #8

I got a Joule for Christmas and made my first roast last weekend, which turned out to be awesome beyond my wildest expectations. Roast beef heaven! I loved it so much we went out and bought another roast that I started yesterday and will finish in the oven tonight. I am contemplating buying a Coleman cooler for briskets and such since this last roast was almost too big for my pot. I look forward to trying out this brisket recipe for sure!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #9

I have two sous vide pods, an Anova (app sucks) and a more generic one. I use the Chef Steps/Joule app for both info wise.

(Running from stupidity) #10

The Anova app is so ridiculously basic and badly coded (on Android, at least). Why can’t I, for example, setup a recipe that has one period of time at one temp, then a second period of time at a different temp?

That’s hardly a big ask.

(Bob M) #11

I have never used the app for my Anova, as you say, it’s not great. I just set the temperature manually. For me, I rarely need two temperatures, although that would be nice for cooking duck or goose. For those, I just cook the breasts at a different temp than the legs.

(Jane) #12

I used the recipe @Bellyman posted but only had a small chuck roast so cut way back on the amount of brine and spices.

Sous vide at 140F for around 30 hrs. Didn’t need the full 48 since not a brisket.

Is delicious!!!

Yum! :drooling_face:

(Running from stupidity) #14

It doesn’t look too bad, either…