Cooking Turkey bacon or making it into jerky

(Carol Motsinger) #1

uggg, what is the secret to cooking turkey bacon? Please don’t post the “use real bacon” stuff, I don’t eat pork. But no matter how I try It either burns or is raw. I can’t seem to get a good in between. I have tried microwave(1.5-2min) and oven(350 for 25min). I have burned so much in the oven, set off the fire alarm once. Even when it doesn’t look done if I take it out it gets hard when cooled. I tried googling making it in a dehydrator, like a jerky but found only info on cutting fresh turkey not using store bought sliced turkey bacon. A jerky texture would be ok, flexible. I don’t need the crisp, just not hard and no raw spots. Anyone ever done it in the dehydrator? I want to try this weekend but don’t want to keep wasting so much bacon.

(Mike ) #2

Hi there Carol,

I have made jerky out of turkey bacon many times! I use Jennie-O turkey bacon for my jerky. First find yourself a good dehydrator, I got a small one from Gander Mountain for about $40.00. Next buy your favorite turkey bacon and cut the package in half to make it easier to fit in the dehydrator. I then take the cut bacon and place it in a bowl with my favorite marinade for 24 hrs. Then I take the bacon out and pat the extra marinade off with a paper towel. Place the strips in the dehydrator evenly and set on high. This should be about 165 degrees. One batch usually takes between 4 and 6 hours, depending on the dehydrator. The bacon will come out great! Not raw and not over cooked. Hope this helps you!

Mike

(Mike Williams) #3

Cool idea using turkey bacon for jerky. What would be a good idea for a marinade for it?