Conversation Starters - Warm - Family, Casual or Business Relationship

conversationstarters

(Tom Seest) #1

As we progress in our journeys to better health, we often find ourselves in situations where we want to start conversations with people that we know in some way, but are suffering from being obese, Type 2, or some other malady that is in our past.

I figured it would be nice to start a thread where we can perfect and wordsmith conversation starters that can be used via messaging, email or in person that can help get the conversation started, without being totally offensive or politically incorrect.

This would allow people to review this thread to get ideas, before they go into social situations with Family, Casual or Business Relationships where these encounters may take place.

Here is an example that I developed quickly in the Facebook Forum earlier today; in this case, I used a “Permission Based” strategy:

As an example, if I’m in a conversation where someone is discussing this diet or that diet, I could say: “Back when I weighed XXX pounds or kilos, people would always tell me that I needed to eat less and move more, count calories, or try some expensive diet or surgery. But, I found that I had to give up dieting in order too lose weight permanently. I had to make changes in my lifestyle, and what I chose to eat. Change can be difficult, but I found adopting my lifestyle changes were easy for me, and I love living this way. I’d be happy to share them with any of you individually or as a group, but I don’t want to sound pushy or dogmatic. So, if you would ever like to know what I’ve experienced, don’t hesitate to ask me.”

(Tom Seest) #2

Here is another example that I came up with quickly in the Facebook Forum:

“Back when I weighed XXX, I ate a lot and yet I was hungry all the time. What most people don’t realize is that heavy people can’t get access to that stored energy, and so they are literally starving all the time. I had to retrain my body so that it could access all that stored energy, and that fixed my problem. I found that I had to give up dieting in order too lose weight permanently. I had to make changes in my lifestyle, and what I chose to eat. Change can be difficult, but I found adopting my lifestyle changes were easy for me, and I love living this way. I’d be happy to share them with any of you individually or as a group, but I don’t want to sound pushy or dogmatic. So, if you would ever like to know what I’ve experienced, don’t hesitate to ask me.”

(Jennie) #3

Wonderful ideas.

Mine would be a touch different since I don’t know that anyone would admit I had been overweight enough to make a fuss of losing. (It’s funny, people don’t want to agree with me when I talk of my unhealthy weight. I think they want to make you feel better by not admitting they noticed?)

I’ve been using something like,
"For as long as I can remember, any time I would go to the doctor, I would weigh in at levels they would address. They would mention that I needed to eat less and move more to lose weight. They would say that if I didn’t get ahead of my weight, I could potentially face issues later in life. They hadn’t gone down the path of suggesting medication just yet.

I would diligently eat less and move more but couldn’t ever get those numbers on the scale to budge. I would get so irritated when I couldn’t lose weight. I would lose five pounds if I was really trying, but I just couldn’t break through and lose any more. I tracked calories every day.

I had tried the Atkins low-carb life years ago and it was the only way I was ever able to lose. I found out about Keto and saw that the relationship between fat and hormones is helpful in women with PCOS. I decided to give it a shot and have been shocked at the success I’ve had. Women with PCOS are notorious for struggling with weight loss. They can potentially develop type 2 diabetes and heart disease. I knew it would be prudent to start tackling my issues now rather than waiting until it was really far out in front of me."

I find when I discuss MY health issues and highlight wanting to address them NOW it makes people less defensive and more willing to discuss the diet because I’m not attacking THEM. Just talking about my own wonky body.

Sorry for the long post. Love these commentaries to get the conversations moving.

(Tom Seest) #4

Excellent