Constant Hunger in Adaptation

(Benny) #41

I’m still at the very start of this way of life and I appreciate all replies and info but…I was delighted that I’d upped my protein and it resulted in me feeling more satiated. Thought “great I’m on my way”
Today I’ve binge watched videos on YouTube and at least 50% say too much protein will stall weight loss and is bad for you.
Hmm I’m having lots of fats and now more protein as to feel good and only eat twice per day. How is every bit of info challenging to take onboard? Yesterday I felt great yet now I’m more confused and stressed than ever.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #42

Chill! If things are working for you, then you’re doing it right.

I’ve learned to pay attenttion to the dates of those videos, because sometimes the science has changed since the lecture was first presented. For example, the advice about protein has become less certain over the past two years, as we learn more. Videos are still being put out by people who haven’t caught up with some of the latest studies, so I’ve learned to listen selectively.

I also try to look at the studies cited during the lecture, and if the lecture is so casual as not to involve references to the scholarly literature, I stop listening. That alone weeds out quite a bit.

(PSackmann) #43

Do they give a definition of “too much protein”? Dr. Jason Fung mentions keeping protein moderate, his definition is between 10% and 30% of calories. That’s a wide range, and you don’t have to hit it every day.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #45

For the average man eating 2500 calories a day, that means between 50 and 187 grams of protein. That sounds reasonable.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #46

Benny, you wrote this in another thread but since you already started this one when you began I’m going to copy and paste it here before I reply:

I’m on day 31 and have gained 9lbs. Feel total lethargy, really stressed,really bad insomnia and frustration.
I’ve stuck religiously to under 20 carbs and have had lots of good fats and protein from salmon,avocado,grass fed beef,asparagus,broccoli,olive oil,mackerel,sardines, apple cider vinegar,spinach,kale,bacon,eggs,kerygold butter, heavy cream etc etc
All the very best of produce and mainly organic.
This month has cost me about £700 in food and supplements. - vitamin b complex, magnesium,potassium,COD live oil,vitamin d
The stories of success are fantastic for those that it’s working for but for me personally it’s been the most demoralising month of my life.

Do us a favor and list everything you’ve had to eat in the past couple of days, quantity also so we can look at it with you. Something isn’t adding up. You shouldn’t feel so bad at this point and it’s hard to believe you’re gaining.

I also saw you mentioned in another thread that you changed your Zoloft status, quit the med? How long ago and did you taper?

(charlie3) #47

I’ve been doing keto for a bit more than a year, generally 30 net carbs. It took months for the fatique stuff to go away. It was worth it. My only carbs is a large daily dinner salad of non starchy veggies. I tired zero carb by eliminating the salad. After a month the salad is back because without it I was stupid hungry all the time with no good control of eating. I didn’t mind the weight gain but couldn’t abide the loss of control over eating times and amounts. I like zero carb and will go back to it when I have a solution to the over eating thing.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #48

Haven’t tried ZC/carnivore myself, but apparently, too much protein and not enough fat causes hunger such as you describe. You might try fattier meat and eating it with butter or some such, next time. It’s worth a try, anyway.

Hey Benny,
I’m a bit of a noob myself, but the thing that saved me during the tired phase was chugging a pint of chicken broth or bone broth with extra salt added. In fact, I do this pretty regularly, because I have a dry mouth and the extra salt and liquid helps. But I always feel rejuvenated after doing so.

I also take supplements because I’m anemic, and I know the Iron Complex helps that. But, making sure we all get the mag and K that is needed is important too.

HTH.

(Troy) #50

Sometimes just changing up the food patterns can make a difference
We can all become creatures of habit

For example:
Let’s saw you are eating bacon, eggs, pork rind waffle, and half of an avocado

Today you just eat it all Randomly or you have a go to pattern? — eat some eggs, some bacon, bite of avocado , and save the waffle for last , then more eggs, more bacon

Tomorrow change it up
Eat all the avocado , then all the bacon , eggs, the next if getting full…some of the waffle

Mixed up your fats, LC , and possible Vege intake

Weird scenario sorry
Sometimes just small changes can trick our bodies
It’s worth a try

:wink: Good Luck