Confusion over glucose readings

(Jane) #21

I’m not a medical professional but my understanding is when your pancreas “wears out” it cannot produce enough insulin and your blood surgars skyrocket. Effectively, then you are becoming a Type 1 diabetic and will need insulin the rest of yoru life to survive.

As long as yours are low, your pancreas is doing it’s job :grinning:

I’ve had much lower glucose readings after 3 days of fasting. but my ketones were also much higher so I wasn’t tired or fatigued. With normal eating my glucose is higher than yours and ketones about that range.

What did you eat for your meal when you took the data you posted? That makes a difference in insulin response also. But on the surface it looks to me like you have reversed your pre-diabetic condition. An A1C test will confirm because it is basically an indirect indicator of your glucose over the past 90 days.

(Bob M) #22

Some additional thoughts. Regardless of whether I eat or not, my blood sugar goes up in the morning until 11am-noon. That could be your pattern too. Then my blood sugar (on average) goes down from 11am-noon until around midnight.

Also, those 1 hour and 2 hour points might not be relevant. This is my CGM data from Thanksgiving 2017 (using a European Free Style Libre):

The difference between each two lines is one hour. You can see that if I took a pinprick before eating and then an hour later, I could get the same value and completely miss the 9.7 (175) peak. (Let’s ignore that there’s a delay for blood sugar to affect the CGM sensor. Also, what I do now when I wear my CGM is I take a reading immediately before eating, which puts a value on the “curve”; I take a reading immediately after stopping eating, and then I take additional readings later. Without this, the software I have does not let me see the actual values at any point, so I have to guess how high my blood sugar went.)

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #23

This sounds like something got mixed up in translation. There are a number of issues here.

The first issue is how long you’ve been eating ketogenically. There is a six-to-eight-week period of adaptation (it sometimes runs even longer, just so you know), during which the skeletal muscles are making do with ketones, because they haven’t finished switching from glucose metabolism to fatty-acid metabolism (the mitochondria need time to heal, among other things). During the adaptation phase, you are going to experience less energy and less strength. This is normal. When your strength returns, you will know that you are fat-adapted. In the meantime, take it easy.

The next issue is your degree of insulin resistance. This primarily affects the amount of insulin your pancreas needs to secrete in order to handle a given level of serum glucose. If you are eating a ketogenic diet, then your glucose should not rise significantly after meals, because your carbohydrate intake is so low. This takes the strain off your pancreas, because it needs to secrete far less insulin. There is an insulin response to protein, but it is minimal when carb intake is kept very low. And of course the insulin response to fat intake is so negligible that we can ignore it, for all practical purposes.

I am not clear what your concern is about the glucose and ketone numbers you posted. They look perfectly fine, to me. The readings are essentially stable, being well within the margin of error of most home meters. With stable serum glucose in a healthy range, and with ketone readings also stable and in a good range, you are doing very well indeed.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #24

But it’s still records every 15 minutes, right? And then you upload it to the software to generate the reports, right?