Confusing labels

Anyone want to help me figure out the carb info on Wegmans Special Blends Broccoli Cauliflower And Pine Nuts? I normally eat my veggies raw or steam them myself and track in Carb Manager, so this frozen package has me perplexed.

According to the package, it states per serving (1 cup) that there are 8 total g of carbs and also 8 total g of dietary fiber. (https://www.wegmans.com/products/frozen-foods/vegetables/vegetables-frozen/special-blends-broccoli-cauliflower-pine-nuts.html#) How is that possible? Wouldn’t that negate the carbs all together in net?

I am sure I am missing something super basic and will face palm once I realize.

(Khara) #2

Hmm. It does seem off. Real quick I looked up carb content for 1 cup of each item. They all have some fiber but not the same amount as carbs so it seems the carb and fiber should be different amounts on this label with carbs being higher. Just for comparing (1 cup each):
Broccoli: 7g carbs, 3g fiber
Cauliflower: 5g carbs, 3g fiber
Pine nuts: 18g carbs, 5g fiber
Not face palming yet. Maybe someone else can help with that…

Whew. Glad it wasn’t just me. I’ve either been logging broccoli and cauliflower all wrong or something is up with the nutrition info on the label.

(I didn’t eat the pine nuts – not that I saw more than two. Didn’t really think about the carb count on those after seeing the label though.)

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

This is the exact reason I buy cauliflower, broccoli and nuts separately and cook my own food. If food is in a package with multiple ingredients and a brand on it you have to question it. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Khara) #5

Ya. Unfortunate cause it does look kinda good.

@Kage It might also help to read the actual ingredient list. I can only see nutrition amounts online. You’ll be able to see if there is anything weird or non Keto friendly in their sauce.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

@KBG That was the first thing I noticed, the “mystery sauce”. And zero carb vegetables don’t exist in the real world. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Khara) #7

Mystery sauces are the bain of a ketoers existence. For me, eating certain foods is near impossible… Mexican, Chinese, Thai… just no way to know what all is in their sauces. :worried:

I would claim either:

• Out and out error on the nutritional label
  • It’s a non-USA nutritional label where “Carbs” are actually digestible carbs, so you wouldn’t be subtracting out the fiber because it as already been subtracted. So, the product is actually 8 net carbs?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #9

As you’ve probably noticed in the What Did You Keto Today thread I get around this by making my own. But cooking is passion for me and not everyone has the time like I do.

(Khara) #10

I do enjoy playing around when I have time and energy. I don’t have a lot of time and so I’m lucky to try something new even once a month. The struggle is when people invite me out to eat. Its usually Thai or Chinese or Mexican, not a steakhouse. Finding something with only fresh whole ingredients and no sauces is tough. I recently discovered I like Thai Tom Yum. But, can’t trust a restaurant. I plan to try making it sometime soon. I think I did see it in What Did You Keto fairly recently…

Right!? Zero carb veggies would be amazing, but alas.

I actually wrote to the store.

Probably right about the way they listed the carbs (not right!) or sauce (even though I could barely taste it see it).

Now I am irrationally bummed. I left the offending bag at work, but I’ll look closer at the ingredients tomorrow. I feel like I sabotaged my day because of a serving of broccoli. (I likely didn’t really, but I don’t feel like I should eat the Kale salad along with my pulled pork for dinner now.)

Is there anything worse than being duped by broccoli!?

Better not forget my lunch from home again and try to make due.

(Khara) #13

Don’t worry about it. There will always be a day here or there where you have something at a party or restaurant or friend/family’s house and it’s not ideal Keto. No biggie. Eat right for the rest of today. Eat if hungry. If you have urine or blood test strips you could check for ketones. I’d be surprised if this food actually knocked you out. Pretty minor, it’s not like you accidentally ate an ice cream sundae. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks! And I did test when I got home because I still have the strips. Not knocked out at all, as you correctly suspected.

I am almost three months in this WOE and I am learning things every day. Today’s lesson: even approved veggies can be suspicious. Don’t trust labels. :slight_smile:

(hahaha – “accidentally ate an ice cream sundae!”)

(Full Metal KETO AF) #15

I wouldn’t worry about a few extra vegetable based carbs now and then. It’s not like 20 is a magic number, especially if you’ve been at it a few months 30 carbs one day won’t mess you up, at least in my case. The stress about it is probably worse. Tomorrow will be better. :cowboy_hat_face:

Not such a mystery if I actually read the whole thing. Lesson learned.