Completely New to Keto!

keto
newbies
exercise
carbs

(Yassi) #1

Hi all!

I’ve just started out Keto for the first time in hopes of losing weight. I’m at the heaviest and worst shape I’ve ever been and resisted keto for awhile before deciding to give it a shot.

Does anyone have a go-to guideline when in doubt about certain foods? I’m unsure about how many grams of carbs (or is it net carbs?) I should be having per day. Also, what foods can we eat without limit? I’ve heard some people say you can have unlimited cheese, for example, while other sites say otherwise.

Also, I want to work out while I keto. I have not worked out in a couple months so any recommendations for this would be great too!

Thanks!!

(Ellie) #2

Welcome.
The best thing I can say is that start with dietdoctor.com and the 2ketodudes podcasts. Listen to all of them! Read loads, and you’ll be fine.
But basic rules are:
20g or less of net carbs -strict maximum to start
Moderate protein - this is a target but don’t stress if you go over a bit. Aim for 1g of protein per kg lean body mass.
Fill up with fat - eat enough fat so that you can go a few hours until the next meal without being hungry.
Welcome and enjoy!

(Chelsea Barnett) #3

I would wait until you get used to keto before I tried excersizing if I were you. I was walking every day until I started keto and while my body was adjusting I couldn’t even continue walking without feeling like crap. But that’s just from my experience. So if you aren’t used to working out. May be a good idea to start that after you get used to keto. But congrats on staring. I am so glad I started. I’m about a month and a half in and I love it.