Comparing different meats eg beef vs pork vs chicken vs venison

(Sarah ) #1

There’s tons of mainstream diet info about meats, which is better, and why. In mainstream world it’s mostly about fat and cholesterol. And there’s the religious tint, like pork being “dirty”. There’s the health foody stuff about organic or grass fed. But say you compare meat from a bunch of different types of land animals, it’s all equally raised (grass fed, free range, whatever) and processed… what are the biggest pros and cons between different types, besides just taste preferences.

(KCKO, KCFO) #2

Since going Keto/lchf, I find I prefer any meat that has more fat in it. Chicken breasts have to be dressed up with all kinds of fats. I much prefer the dark meat now. But I find I like chicken less and less. Duck is awesome too. I prefer eating fattier beef, like wagyu or bison. I love bacon of course one of the ultimate get your protein wrapped in fat experiences around. And pork has pork rinds, almost a whole food group in my world. Lamb has always been a favorite protein of mine. Shanks rule!!!

I think all of these are fine.

(Pete A) #3

All this.

Does anyone know of any evidence that cured meats like salami and such are less (or more?) healthy than fresh meats? And which category does bacon fall into, or is it in a category all its own?

(Jo O) #5

IMHO
A variety is best.
Look up older episodes of Ketovanglist podcast. Carrie covers the best cuts of meats.

(Rob) #6

The WHO would say that processed meat is a CLASS 1 carcinogen including bacon :bacon:

…but we all know these muppets are in the thrall of the vegetarians.

https://chriskresser.com/red-meat-cancer-again-will-it-ever-stop/

There is debate over nitrites and nitrates in bacon and I don’t know much about that but I do see naysayers talk about how they are turned into nitric oxide which is a normal bodily chemical managing muscle growth.

Fresh, unprocessed is always better than than the cured, smoked, or chemicalized equivalent. If meat quality (or the environment) is very important to you, avoid corporation prepared meat altogether. Buy from local farmers, ranchers, fisherman, friends or family. Or even better, raise/hunt your own!

Meats have different insulinogenic properties. Pork stimulates insulin the least. Beef stimulates insulin the most. The chicken and fish (largest amount omega 3) are in between. Here’s the source:
https://ses.library.usyd.edu.au/handle/2123/11945