Combat diabetes.... with porridge?

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #1

:woman_shrugging:

I give up. I have a prediabetic family member, and after the conversation I had with them about oats and porridge on NYE I hope and pray they don’t pick up the Daily Fail tomorrow…

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

And when it fails, it will be blamed on the subjects for not ‘following the protocol’.

What’s so hard to understand about: “Stop eating carbs”?

('Jackie P') #3

Shocking!
One minute they are championing Dr David Unwin and the next churning out this drivel!

(Ronald Weaver) #4

Not a problem… just don’t read newspapers ! To think that a tree died just for this…shocking !
Or watch News on TV. Or watch programs you just know are going to upset you …

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #5

Yes, but I must say that it worries me when news stories have the potential to steer unwitting people towards harm rather than help, that’s all.

I can imagine the conversation with my family member… ‘but in the paper, Rebecca, even though you we’re telling me that eating porridge will make my blood glucose go up, it says that porridge is GOOD for diabetes - so I AM going to buy oats and start having porridge for breakfast again…’

the porridge is sneaky but how in the world do the diabetic people always get away with throwing sugar fruit on top of whatever the heck they are promoting in their pics as a ‘good meal’ to eat for diabetics?

Keep the people in carb coma? Keep them sick and relying on meds to survive? Keep them down so they don’t ever get healthy to revolt? I mean come on LOL what is it? Why is the truth of this not truly out there and supported by big foundations and more. More research on diabetes :slight_smile: What is there to learn for the most general, fast, honest improvement for those with type 2? cut the sugar people! Yet it is so not promoted…heck I don’t get it at all.

what the heck is wrong with all this bad info? No clue here truly!

(Utility Muffin Research Kitchen) #7

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
(Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993)

My relative with diabetes read a book once. About diabetes and that high-carb low-fat is the way and no problem with any amounts of carbs. I don’t remember if it said simple sugar is great but it hated more than minimal fat with a passion if I remember correctly.
It’s good she listened to the doctor, at least, their recommendation is still borderline high-carb but better…

Some porridge is probably better than a few glazed donuts (it depends, probably) but if someone is willing to do some little thing for their own HEALTH, they should put the bar higher…

I just skimmed through the article, it was painful enough.
So. Porridge (with banana in the photo), LOTS of fruits all day (from my viewpoint, at least. 5 times is a lot unless they eat a few berries. but a single berry without any reason is much too), lentil soup with bread… And starvation.
It seems they want to battle diabetes with weight-loss and indeed, that should happen on most cases. They just do it in a very, very bad, unhealthy and unpleasant way.
Why? Really, why?

And if they get starved down to a more healthy weight (losing significant muscles is less healthy though), what will happen then? This diet won’t help them in the future the slightest.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #9

I do understand it to a point, in that I gather the ‘Newcastle Diet’ (very low calorie) can benefit patients with type 2, in some cases leading to remission.

HOWEVER, it is my opinion that the Daily Fail’s report to the masses that a diet based on porridge (and pictured with sliced banana!) can ‘curb a diabetes epidemic’ is at best short-sighted and at worst irresponsible.

My family member, for instance, isn’t likely to get any further than the headline they’ll glimpse at the newsstand before deciding ‘porridge IS good for me’. It’s that aspect that troubles me.

Very low calorie diets (whatever food groups they’re based on) are hard to sustain. I prefer to manage my weight and blood glucose by following a ketogenic diet, which is setting me up for a continued healthy future. And that’s the message I’m trying to get through to my family member.