Colorectal cancer and bacon?!?!

The latest salvo against bacon…:scream:

What do you y’all think about this study?

Diet and colorectal cancer in UK Biobank: a prospective study

(Jane) #2

In conclusion, in this systematic analysis of a contemporary cohort of half a million men and women from the UK population, we found that consumption of red and processed meat and alcohol was associated with an increased risk of colorectal cancer. We also found that fibre from bread and breakfast cereals was associated with a reduced risk.

^^^^ This tells me all I need to know. Bread and breakfast cereals have very little fiber and this supports the processed food industry profits.

(Alec) #3

I love all these studies. Keeps the price of bacon down.

('Jackie P') #4

There is a whole thread about this Im not sure how to join them. Its called “even moderate portions of red meat can cause cancer”
Some very interesting posts about how the study was carried out.

(Chris) #5

Figure 1 in the study tells you all you need to know.

(bulkbiker) #6

UK Biobank data is based on a 29 question food questionnaire about what you ate in the past year… I can’t recall how much bacon I ate yesterday… any conclusions drawn from such a poor starting part are Im afraid complete and utter bollocks (as we say in the UK).

(Bunny) #7

Hmmmm!

How much high fructose corn syrup and sucrose do you eat with that bacon?

(bulkbiker) #8

None… HFCS is banned here thankfully… and my bacon is sucrose free…

(Bunny) #9

My question is to the genetic hereditary predisposition to colorectal cancers in the UK as well as world-wide, but why?

Almost as if there is some kind of epidemiological micro-nutrient deficiency or excess[1][2][3] and problems with methylation groups[4][5][6][7][8]?

Colorectal adenocarcinoma: risks, prevention and diagnosis - UK

Footnotes:

[1] Deficiencies and excess intakes: “…Iron deficiency anaemia is the most common nutritional deficiency in the world, often affecting women and young children, and is found in the UK population too. Iodine deficiency is also commonplace worldwide. Nutritional deficiencies of other minerals are rare in the UK (although as indicated above, dietary intakes of a number of minerals are low in sub groups of the UK population and nutritional status of individuals may therefore be affected).

[2] Toddler diets in the U.K.: deficiencies and imbalances. 1. Risk of micronutrient deficiencies.

[3] Micronutrient Intakes of British Adults Across Mid-Life: A Secondary Analysis of the UK National Diet and Nutrition Survey

[4] Folate and colorectal cancer prevention - In the United States and United Kingdom colorectal cancer (CRC)

[5] Methylenetetrahydrofolate Reductase (MTHFR) is the rate-limiting enzyme in the methylation cycle, and it is encoded by the MTHFR gene. …More

[6] “… The majority of the pre-packaged. foods found in the grocery store have been through this process and fortified with folic acid. This is bad news for people with the MTHFR mutation. People with this mutation are unable to rid their bodies of folic acid. It builds up, blocking folate receptors and wrecking havoc. This build up is known as folic acid toxicity. Most lab tests do not distinguish between folic acid and folate when measuring blood levels. If folic acid intake is high, the results may show an individual has adequate amounts of folate. This is misleading as the individual actually has high levels of unusable folic acid, with little to no folate. This situation can cause the body to believe it is malnourished and result in unnecessary storing of energy (weight gain). …More

[7] APC hypermethylation for early diagnosis of colorectal cancer: a meta-analysis and literature review

[8] Methylation levels of LINE-1 in primary lesion and matched metastatic lesions of colorectal cancer

(bulkbiker) #10

As with everything… its probably the carbs and seed oil…

(Karen ) #11

Hmmmmm one has to wonder if those people were having their bacon in sandwiches :thinking:. Logically the bread could be just as guilty.

(Consensus is Politics) #12

Hey now. Dont go poking holes in their studies. Im sure the carboydrate cabal is paying them quite nicely to word it the best way they can for the outcome they want. They ‘re doing their best.

Edit: oops, I meant consortium of course, not cabal. A cabal would be just plain silly.

https://www.carbquality.org/

Looks like they also tweaked their name a little bit. Added a little “quality”.

If you venture to their site and read their propaganda, keep in mind AT ALL TIMES, that CONSENSUS is not science. Anyone who says differently is selling something.

Keto Vitae! For the Science!

It chaps my *** when ridiculous measures like that are used.

Of course it’s all in the name! That’s why brilliant and handsome are my middle name. :wink:

(Bruce) #15

Surely you mean ‘the carbohydrate carbal’!

(Consensus is Politics) #16

If I was just bantering, yes. But its real, and its what they call themselves. Iirc they are headquartered somewhere in Europe. Paris maybe? I seem to remember there being a great sushi place nearby.

Edit: oops :speak_no_evil:. I meant consortium. Got my governmental body conspiracies confused there.

https://www.carbquality.org/

They did change the name of their website. Who can argue with “quality” :roll_eyes:

(Bruce) #17

Hmmm. Am awful lot of use of the word consensus! A 97% consensus doesn’t necessarily make you right but it can still mean that 97% are just plain wrong.

(Jane) #18

Their consensus statement says it all:

“Consensus statement

Dietary carbohydrates have received negative publicity in the last decade following the popularity of high protein diets.”

And it goes on. If you click on their Conflict of Interest button you find most of the members have received grant and research money from large food companies.

(Consensus is Politics) #19

Ding!