Collagen Powder Input Please :)

(Peggy Saar) #1

Hi, I’ve been taking Dr.Axe Multi Collagen powder for about 6 weeks faithfully everyday. I have felt a small difference in my joint pain and somewhat softer skin but it’s very strange that me nails or more brittle and chippy than ever before. I read somewhere people over 60 need to take more than the recommended dose. Anyone have experience with Collagen?

(Little Miss Scare-All) #2

Yes! I use this:

I’m 36 and use 1 scoop. It’s recommended that if youre 60+, use 2-3 scoops. This one is 10 of protein per scoop, 40cals, 0 carbs, 0 anything silly. I feel it doesn’t hinder my ketosis depth in any way.

My mom turned me onto it, she’s been taking it for a few months and when I saw her the other day, I noticed how thick and voluminous her hair was. She generally takes good care of herself anyway, but her skin looked great, less puffy and more firm. She says she feels less achey in general, though she doesnt suffer from joint issues.

As for me, I notice the same things as her, for myself. For how painless it is, Id recommend it to anyone really.

(Peggy Saar) #3

Thank you! I’m going to look that one up to compare prices. Dr. Axe is a little spend and I need to up my dose it could get pretty expensive. Hopefully by increasing my nails will come back. I just don’t understand why they would get worse than before I began taking it. Glad you are having success. I’ll check in after I up my dose. Thanks for the confirmation :slight_smile:

(Bunny) #4

You may want to give it more time?

Meanwhile here is my take on this:

MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) + Bone Broth + Vit:C(peppers)===>Binds===>Keratin<==with==>Collagen = Thicker Hair & Nails

1. Organic white MSM sulfur (the kind that comes in a clear white bag not the pill form)

2. Vitamin C (organic peppers; keep in mind Vitamin C pills are not going to do it, it is man-made stuff i.e. asorbic acid?)

3. Bone Broth (preferably grass fed, free range bones)

Binds Keratin with Collagen for thicker Hair and Nails!

References:

[1] How Can MSM Help Your Hair? “…MSM can improve your hair health in two ways. The first of which is by boosting the production of collagen throughout your body. MSM supplementation helps your body produce more keratin. Keratin, similar to collagen, is a type of protein that provides the building blocks for the structure of your hair and nails. …” …More

[2] Dimethyl Sulfone (MSM): Top 5 Benefits & Uses

[3] Home-made bone broth:

[4] More Vitamin C from organic sources? More Vitamin C than in any other vegetable on planet earth, behold THE PEPPER:

Hair problems
(Britt) #5

Could you tell me if this has any biotin in the ingredients? I’ve been looking into the collagen powder but many have biotin which makes me break out.

(Peggy Saar) #6

I’ll check the label and let you know :slight_smile:

(Britt) #7

Thanks!:blush:

(Little Miss Scare-All) #8

I have it at work, so Im not sure. Ill look Monday for you.

(Melora) #9

I’ve been putting a scoop of collagen in my morning coffee (along w/ coconut oil). My joint pain is gone and skin seems healthier, but I’m not sure if it’s the keto or collagen. Any ideas? Does is matter as long as I feel good? LOL.

(Christy) #10

My experience is very limited, as I have only been on a daily dose of 7g for a little less than three weeks but, IMPE, I have noticed a substantial difference in hair loss. I am losing 75% less hair than before, clearer skin & better overall skin tone. My nails have always been strong & grown like weeds so, I cannot really tell a difference there.

@Smartypants1274 I use Physician’s Choice Collagen Peptides & there is no biotin listed in the ingredients. It literally tastes like ass but, it seems to work well. I add it to my morning coffee & it masks it pretty well.

(Britt) #11

Thanks for getting this info to me. I’m going to give it a try. My nails are extremely brittle ( even before keto) and my skin is very dry so maybe this might help. It’s worth a try​:+1::grin:

(MooBoom) #12

I suffer from this when I’m not getting sufficient nutrients, my nails were brittle as heck then I started supplementing with Vitamin D, zinc and mega C, magnesium & potassium. Wish I knew which one was the magic trick (maybe all?) but the white spots on my nails went away and they became super strong. My hair started growing faster too. I did also increase my protein intake (dietary not supps).

I feel like I’m always telling you to supplement- I promise I’m not normally a pusher- you just seem to suffer from the same stuff I do and I’m hoping what helps me might work for you too :blush:

(Little Miss Scare-All) #13

No Biotin.

(Peggy Saar) #14

A good reminder. Do you take a multiple or take them individually? I’ve been putting off starting supplements but now I know it’s time.

(Britt) #15

I didn’t think you were a supplement pusher😉 When I eat a lot of salmon my nails seem to improve but that tends to push me over my protein. I feel like every time I find a solution for one thing it causes another problem. I had been talking to a friend who was using a collagen supplement and said it was helping with a multitude of things but hers had biotin in it. I ordered mine today and am excited to try it. I’m certainly not against supplementing my diet until I get it adjusted so my body is running as it should, then I may not need vitamins or supplements anymore. Trial and error for me