Hair problems

newbies

(Katherine Blank) #1

I have been doing Keto since March, however, today as I brushed my hair I noticed a bunch of grey hair. I have been having hair problems with hormone levels changing. It was getting better because of keto but now I am getting concerned about the amount of hair turning grey all of a sudden. Now I have read that keto can have effects on the hair but to what extent that someone who has never had greys now start getting them pretty rapidly. I’m only 32.

I’m not sure I’m going to be very reassuring - I started going grey at 18. Keto has not increased the speed nor decreased the speed of grey appearing. I’m nearly 3 mo. on keto.

(Carl Keller) #3

Hi Katherine.

I’ve read about people having issues with temporary hair loss after a major change in diet and I’m going to guess that your greying could also be related to that. Hopefully within a few months the trend should start reversing. I know of at least one person (@daddyoh) who said his natural hair color was starting to return after many years of absence.

(PJ) #4

The macrobiotic approach believes that hair greying is specifically one or more mineral deficiencies. There were enough claims in that field about hair turning back to color and eyecolor changing (mostly green to blue) that I eventually figured at least some tiny % of those were probably legit. You might review your mineral intake compared to RDA (which tends to be ridiculously low), as well as vitamins (without which some minerals never get to where they need to be). When I first did keto and lost a lot of weight, I was really malnourished, mostly from just not eating much and eating mostly the same things.

(Susan) #5

Maybe your hair turning grey has nothing to do with Keto.

I am 54 now but mine started going grey very quickly when I was 34 and pregnant with my 4th child. I remember so well because I thought I was too young, and asked my doctor if it was dangerous for the baby to dye it.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #6

Not much came back but some. But my beard is growing super fast these days.

(Katherine Blank) #7

I thought the same thing so I called both my primary doctor and gyno to see what they recommended and they both told me to take hair skin and nail vitamins because apparently I am losing vitamins. So I am adding that to my lifestyle change. I just have to be super careful taking too much because of my thyroid medicine.

(Bunny) #8

One method is to use onion water (brush through hair & scalp) which is chalk full of catalase enzymes that prevents hydrogen peroxide in the folicle from bleaching the hair. Best way is to boost your bodies natural production of the catalase enzyme rather than use a catalase supplement? Also check-out the referenced links below they are super awesome (not something your going to find on YouTube)!

Note: you have to be persistent with the onion water! Every three days or so, just experiment to find out how often and see your natural color coming back?

image link

image link

References:

[1] Blocking Enzymes in Hair Follicles Promotes Hair Growth

[2] 5 Tips to Reverse Grey Hair Naturally (Plus One Clever Cover Up)

[3] Benefits Of Argan Oil To Gray Hair And How To Use It

[4] How does onion juice help hair growth?

[5] MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) + Bone Broth + Vitamin C (high in peppers)===>Binds===>Keratin<==with==>Collagen = Thicker Hair & Nails

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

Hah!

#STILLNOTBLONDAGAINYET

:grin:

(Karen) #10

Interestingly I am the only one of my siblings that does not have much gray hair yet. I have an aunt who attributed her slow hair color change to vitamin E. No studies for this, just her thoughts. I take vitamin E at low dosage to prevent cataracts. I color my hair, but when the roots grow out about an inch I can see that there’s not much gray in the body of my hair. I will say that the hair around my temples grayed quite early, although that was the hair that always lightened during the summer most.