Collagen peptides improve exercise recovery

(Bob M) #1

“Influence of specific collagen peptides and 12-week concurrent training on recovery-related biomechanical characteristics following exercise-induced muscle damage-A randomized controlled trial”

I never thought about collagen peptides also benefiting exercise recovery. For me, the benefit has mainly been skin (though it’s easier for me to see that than exercise recovery).

I’d love to see that same thing in people who weren’t sedentary and out of shape. While Collagen is higher in some aminos that help joints, actual protein still does everything collagen does, the skin and joint/cartilage stuff is bumped up a little with collagen, but an untrained/detrained person will always have impressive results when you go from 0 to constant training. Newbie gains are real!

People that aren’t getting in optimal protein levels (most normal people) will definitely see some improvements with collagen, but when those bases are covered, if you break down the Amino intake per day, you’re just paying more for less.

(Bob M) #3

It would be an interesting test. I’m taking both collagen peptides AND whey protein with my raw milk for my first meal of the day. Maybe overkill?

I’d also like to see a study where whey protein was given to people and collage peptides were given to a different group of people, and then compare what happens to skin over time. I can point out one age spot in particular that has lightened dramatically since I’ve been taking collagen peptides, but could something like whey protein do the same? I don’t know.

Not overkill at all, and how I use it. Then you’re completing the collagen, so you’re able to count that as actual protein intake, but then also getting the benefit of the much higher levels of Glycine, Proline and Glutamine/Glutamic Acid.

I’d (assume) it would work out in the end the way all the studies on different proteins do when they compare higher quality Whey, vs lower Bioavailability Plant Based proteins and Collagen. It’s usually in the context of muscle retention and gain. Pretty much they all agree that when protein intake as a whole isn’t optimal, your sources matter a lot, as well as how bioavailable they are to you in those limited qualities, but when your levels are at optimal intake levels, which the baseline for anybody in the lifting world will be 1g/lb, is that since your amino intake as a whole is high, that they wash out each other’s shortcomings in the end with volume.

I have noticed a difference in joints since using True Nutrition Grass Fed Beef Collagen, I’ve used it in the past but was also taking joint supplements, but now those are out and the Collagen seems to have taken the place of them. When mine start acting up I get REAL clickly and crackly, especially in the AM, and that seems to not be happening anymore. The joint supps I’ve used for years (Animal Flex) is a little cheaper, but won’t do anything for skin, which I actively go for, so since the collagen kills two birds with one stone, the little extra seems to be worth it.

(KM) #5

Are you doing anything else for skin? I’m starting to feel like a fragile crepe paper bag.

You could say that… :wink:

My “normal” people stuff is I use a high end skin care regime from Brickell (dude brand), Salycilic acid face wash, Tretinoin every night (that one should be in everybodys arsenal), Glycolic acid a couple times a week to keep peeling off top layer skin etc. Usually 2g Vit C daily and copper supplements.

To push past that, I use the Copper Peptide GHK-Cu a few times a year, there’s topical, but I use the injectable version, works way better and cheaper, and when I can swing the funds a couple times a year, the good ol’ fountain of youth HGH.

I may have an anti-aging problem, LOL. But hey, most people guess me around 35, and I’m 43, so I’ll take it, better than nothing! My wife who turned 40 the beginning of the year gets guessed in her late 20’s-early 30’s. Hard to compete with! We know from testing with her doc both her IGF-1 and DHEA levels are super high naturally, so my theory is like she’s just a walking HGH factory, and reaping all the benefits of that. Meanwhile, I gotta try…

(KM) #7

I just purchased this, and I’m really pleased. It really has almost no flavor at all, and once mixed with heavy cream becomes a marvelous coffee creamer with no weird ingredients at all, it really doesn’t even change the texture of the coffee. This is the first time I’ve tried mixing a protein product in my coffee and still look forward to drinking it! Highly recommend!

(Bob M) #8

Is it this one:

(KM) #9

I wasn’t quite sure, they had two products, but yes that is the one I bought.

(Bob M) #10

Great, thank you.