Collaborative Science Conference

science

(Mark Rhodes) #1

The Collaborative Science Conference was a success.

I am seeing a changing of the guard. My first forays into keto conferences were all about weight loss but shortly was followed by the T2D reversal. The nature of The Cholesterol Code and Citizen Scientist might have some impact, but I am seeing more and more a focus on cardiovascular disease and diabetes as the driver to that. SO, this conference really was focused on lipids, CVD and mental health.

Matthew Buddoff presented Citizen Science LMHR study and there was no correlation between plaque burden and LDL-C, furthermore, subjects on a ketogenic diet did not have greater plaque burden as compared to Miami cohort study. However, the cognitive dissonance resonated and reigned as Buddoff was still willing to prescribe statins.

![image|690x388]

(upload://qZQqgZoVZra0dp59L2yWfUTlAD0.jpeg)

Cromwell presentation was great. He has a variety of ways of measuring CVD risk ruling out LDL, but recommended statin therapy still. Nadir Ali challenged him, rather convincingly on this during a panel discussion that lasted 90 minutes and was moderated by Feldman. Bret Scher maintained a more nuanced position but did not recommend statins, in most cases.

David Diamond gave a formidable presentation. He said outright that statins should not be used for LDL-C alone, his concern was Lp(a) and APOB. Especially if you have genetic predispositions for clotting . Afterwards I asked which genetic mutations and he told me FVIII. I asked how about FV and he was unaware if it was as damaging as FVIII. So then I said I have both, yay me!! to which we had two great discussions at different times about this, and I showed how I can manipulate both. This was worthy of his praise, and he encouraged me to continue my research into how I did this. I told him about a study I want to conduct and he encouraged me to do so. Even gave some advice on how to do it.

@Sodfather Presented a message that asked “How are you going about presenting LCHF?” and gave us ways to do so that might not be thought of. Stock local libraries. Visit your School Board. Utilize your counties Extension College and ask for help.

This was the first time I met Dom. What a gentleman and kind person. His wife Csilla is also very kind. I thanked him for his cancer work and how it helped my Herakles live 1400 days plus when his diagnosis was 550 days. We began to talk dogs and later that night when he learned of my wife’s Ehlers Danlos diagnosis, he sent me two links to papers his students have written for dissertations on their use of ketones in EDs. In person conferences are absolutely the best. So many other amazing stories to tell. His talk focused on all the NEW ways Ketones are being used as A DRUG, not just a metabolite

Chris from Keto Chow ( platinum sponsor!!) filmed it all and will edit this. I have no Idea when the Youtube’s will be out.

(Bob M) #2

How do you figure out whether you have these genetic mutations?

Great reporting, by the way.

Although ApoB will be very high in LMHRs too.

(Mark Rhodes) #3

I tested for them via blood draws.

AND

I wa sunder the impression that once I started to take Eliquis I could no longer doante blood to help thin me out. David suggested that I try doanting platlets. This way I can thin my blood BUT not actually use my blood. WHich I thought was pretty cool.

(Mark Rhodes) #4

Well, maybe. I think it is more of a concert or a steam engine. One goes up the other moves. I did all of this with Vitmamin C, Lysine and Proline. This is the study I want to do, to see if others get these same results.

(Bob M) #5

Very interesting.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

The two mutations that tend to accompany familial hypercholesterolaemia affect fibrinogen and clotting factor VIII. That’s not to say that variants of other clotting factors don’t have any effect, merely that those two are the ones that tend to be seen. And of course, dietary factors that increase serum glucose also increase the tendency to clot.

I suspect that the reason FH exists is that (a) the high LDL itself has no effect on cardiovascular disease, and (b) back when we were all eating better, the associated clotting abnormalities were kept under control, so they had no effect on cardiovascular disease, either. Therefore, there was no evolutionary pressure to weed out those genetic variants.

(Mark Rhodes) #7

David made the point FH is only an issue with FVIII and I suspect FV. After my PE (moderna induced with my mutations) I began Eliquis and have had no other issues like hair loss etc. So I’ll play this safer and keep doing that.

I discovered Dr Nadir Ali watching videos for these conferences in the past. He is amazing to listen to, funny and easy to understand. I refer so many people to his videos to understand cholesterol, and statins, and how to understand cholesterol in a low carb diet. I would love to attend one of these in person. So excited that you did!

(Mark Rhodes) #9

Nadir was my cardiologist for awhile. When I wanted one more locally I had him interview the guy I thought would be good, which he thought was astounding as he had never been interviewed. I laughed and said well you have never had me as a patient. He retired last year. We still talk and I almost was able to get him to come out to Vegas

(Bob M) #10

There might be something similar with Lp(a):

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41569-023-00947-2

Can’t read the whole article, though.

I also wonder how much keto affects this.