Coffee?

(Mark) #1

Have read studies that say coffee can make you insulin sensitive and other studies say it can make you insulin resistant,has anyone ever been kicked out of ketosis over to much coffee or any other noticeable side affects?

(Simon Saunders) #2

Never myself, blood ketones haven’t shifted, even on mega high caffeine days.

(Jaime) #3

I can’t say I’ve had an issue with too much, and I wouldn’t survive the day without it! Murder is frowned upon.

The HWC or sweeteners that some people add can add up however…

(Jessica K) #4

Coffee in the morning with butter, oil, and heavy cream is a standard part of my morning regimen in these beginning days to get enough fat in. Can’t imagine my morning without it!

I can honestly say coffee doesn’t taste right anymore without oil, butter and a tad bit of salt.

I’ve not been kicked out of ketosis either, personally.

(David Russell) #6

Just stay away from 2% and half/half…carbs…

heavy cream 35% is my preferred additive.

(Brian Kriesel) #7

I hate to create an echo chamber but coffee has been fine for me

(Simon Saunders) #8

Interesting you have 2% we only 30-35% the minimum for cream in Australia, but Gippsland does a double cream at about 48% which is AMAZING.

(Kerri Hines) #9

I’ve actually tested the ketones continuously using urine strips though… while drinking lots of coffee.
What I was testing was if emptying your bladder very often due to the diuretic effect resulted in a lower urine ketone result. I found that it did but I never got below trace. My normal reading is almost never below large for reference. I had to drink about 48 ounces of coffee in only a couple hours and was going to the bathroom about every 30-45 minutes.
As soon as the diuretic effect wore off and I could wait longer to go, the tests immediately resulted in higher ketones again.
I didn’t compare it against blood ketones but I really don’t think my ketones actually were lower. I was trying to prove that you can show false negative or lower result with excess hydration or frequent urination.

(Howie Levy) #10

I drink 2 lattes with heavy cream and iced coffee and pull a 2.8 ketone read on my meter, so coffee is in the clear.

(đ૯αท ʍ૯ઽƬѳท) #11

I just drink it black now days.

No affect on ketones.

(Tony Sheldon) #12

Likewise. I like it with cream and sugar free sweeteners but found that it stalled my weight loss and upped my cravings.