Coffee Extract - Do It Yourself

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #21

#2 Experiment Tue Sep 14

Another 48 hours and ready to taste/test! Very dark and transparent, although opaque. Here’s some in my 375ml flask, viewed through the wide way. There’s a bright LED flashlight just behind the bottle and it’s completely invisible!

Here’s some in a half shot glass, again with the LED flashlight behind:

The contents of the half shot glass mixed with 6 oz of club soda:

Taste straight is overpowering coffee! Bitter coffee. The alcohol is there but overwhelmed by the coffee. That’s good. Of course, a different coffee would change the flavour somewhat. Mixed with soda, the coffee flavour still comes through and is actually quite palatable. In my sample pictured, the coffee is still slightly bitter, so I think it will be passable mixed in half a liter of water. I’ll try that tomorrow. It’s definitely a usable alternative to sweetened flavour ‘enhancers’. Although as a liqueur it would need some sweetener. I might try it as a liqueur with stevia.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #22

#2 Experiment Thu Sep 16

Had a half shot glass of extract in 500ml of club soda today with my meal at work. Tastes OK. There is a definite coffee flavour, a little ‘smokey’ which might be due to the particular coffee I used to make it. I’ll try different coffees to see what differences that makes.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #23

#3 Experiment Sat Oct 9

• 50 grams of Happy Camper Brown Sugar Bourbon coffee
  • 735 ml Baikal Vodka (40%)

Notes:

1. The coffee is roasted by Paramount Coffee Company, Lansing, MI.
  2. The vodka is again Baikal. Again, with 50 grams of coffee, I was not able to get all the vodka back into the bottle, so guessing about 735 ml.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #24

#3 Experiment Sat Oct 9

I thought a photo of the first scoop of coffee mixing into the vodka would be interesting. So…

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #25

Michael, this experimenting looks very interesting. Have you ever considered instant coffee extract?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #26

Yes, briefly. I don’t particularly like instant coffee. But I may try it for the sake of science. :pleading_face:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #27

Me either, but I keep it because I’ve been known to mix it with too little water and do a shot during an exhaustion crisis.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #28

#3 Experiment Mon Oct 18

9 days and ready to taste/test! I’ve decanted into another clear 750ml bottle. The extract is very dark and transparent, although nearly totally opaque. I did not attempt to make a photo with light behind.

Here’s some in a half shot glass, with an LED flashlight behind:

The contents of the half shot glass mixed with 6 oz of club soda. Compare the color to that of the same above. This is slightly darker and more ‘golden’ colored:

Did the change in coffee make a noticeable difference? Yes - indeed it did! Taste straight is overpowering coffee! Bitter coffee but not as bitter as the last test. The alcohol is there but overwhelmed by the coffee. That’s good. Mixed with 6oz soda, the coffee flavour still comes through and is quite palatable, not bitter. I’m even wondering whether mixed in half a liter of water the coffee flavour will be weak! I’ll find out in a couple of days when I’m back at work.

As for drinking as a stand-alone liqueur, watering down a bit - although not to 20% like most coffee liqueurs - and a couple drops of this makes it totally drinkable:

Yes, I’m not big on sweet, but if you want a coffee liqueur that has a lot less ‘sweet’ (and in the form of actual sugar) than Kahlua and Tia Maria this is it.

PS: Actually, I found a better ‘liqueur solution’ than stevia.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #29

#4 Experiment Sun Oct 31

Dupe of #3 above.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #30

#4 Experiment Monn Nov 8

Got a very nice head in the 6oz soda water mix. Only slight bitterness in the soda water mix. Not enough to matter. So seems like a winner.