Coconut oil too hard to work with?

(Lesley) #41

Few years now. Suffer with multiple chemical sensitivity and had to make my own. Some of the better soaps to buy can be pricey. So I don’t do anything fancy.

It’s catching on though. Like the shift in what we see as healthy food people are starting to wake up to how other products are poisoning us too.

How long have you been at it Marigrace? Do you do complicated stuff?

(Keto Steve) #42

If you let the jar sit for about 10-15 minutes at room temperature with the lid off it should be easier to use after that :smile:

(Marie Dantoni) #43

I complicate just about anything.
I work with my hands. Soap making about 20 years, also do herbal bodycare, millinery, wearable art and home accessories, I have a small shop, and I also cook part time. See ? very complicated.

(VLC.MD) #44

Group Buy ? I’m in :slight_smile:

(Ethan) #45

Coconut oil solidifies at temperatures under 72 degrees F. Your house is kept too cold. Turn the heater to 72.

(Jessica) #46

My house was 49 when I poured my coffee this morning. I needed an ice pick for my coconut oil! :wink:

(Allie) #47

Mine is always like that except in the hottest part of summer. UK life :joy:

(Mel Soule) #48

Taming coconut oil for keto living is now on my problem solved list. First I buy Trader Joe’s extra virgin triple filtered. No coconut taste. We bring it home and let it sit on the counter next to the stove. If it does not melt well I heat a pan with water for a few minutes not quite boiling and sit the jar in the pan. It’s liquid in 5 mins.

We take some plastic ice cube trays ($3.00 @Walmart for 2-3) and with measuring spoon put a teaspoonful in each cube compartment and put in the frig for about 30 mins. Remove and wack on the counter and presto Coconut Oil cube, 1 teaspoon each. Save them in a plastic resealable container in the frig.

Morning coffee add 2 cubes and presto it melts in the cup. Frying on the stove no problem 2-3 cubes in the pan, melts quickly. They are very easy to handle this way.

(Consensus is Politics) #49

Ok, I don’t feel like going through the entire thread to see if anyone touched on this idea for you, it works well and it’s super simple.

I’ve been doing this without even thinking about doing it. Before spooning out the amount I need, I stab the oil a whole heck of a lot with the spoon. Not even scrapping. Just pushing the spoon in deep, yanking it out, and repeating over and over. It takes a few minutes. But it will completely soften the oil from being hard like ice cream and more of a lard consistency. Very easily spooned out. Sorry I didn’t mention it earlier, but was doing it today when I suddenly remembered you were having issues with it, and doing this to it was just like instinct to me to make it smoother in the lower parts of the container.

Have fun! It’s also somewhat cathartic.

Sounds like a great stress reliever, too. :slight_smile:

(Amy Arnold) #51

Hi there, coconut oil is good for health.

(Allie) #52

Yes it’s a staple for many people on keto.

Yup, you have to heat it gently and slowly. My apartment is permanently 85 degrees, so my coconut oil is liquid as water. If I keep some where I work, which is like 65 degrees I think, then it has kind of a jelly consistency, easy to scoop but doesn’t flow. If you refrigerate it, it’s hard as a rock and a pain in the ass to work with until it warms up some.

Probably good to heat a pot of water to 90-120 and put a container of it in the water if you’re having trouble getting it warm enough to work with but not too hot.

(Norma Laming) #54

Why not shave the whole jar so it’s ready to use? I’ve used coconut oil for years but I’m beginning to get fed up with the taste. I’ve got some organic coconut oil that’s deodorised but I don’t know if that affects the mct content

I am new to keto and coconut oil - just opened my jar today - I live in Texas and it was liquid. Does it hurt to keep it in the pantry as liquid - does it make it rancid quicker, do you know?
TIA

(LeeAnn Brooks) #56

I had to move mine from a cupboard that was too close to the stove because I discovered it kept getting melty.

As far as melting it in the microwave and still having chunks, all you have to do is slowly stir it and the chunks will melt.

(Allie) #57

It’s fine as long as it’s constantly like it, but I have found in the past that alternating too much between melted / solid will turn the oil rancid after a while, though these days mine never lasts long enough for that to happen :joy: