Coconut Oil and saturated fat

(Michael) #1

This is now 6 years old, but imho truly brilliant breakdown of saturated fat recommendations by Chris. Good references and papers as well as in-depth examinations of saturated RCT trials of note. The best comes at the end with the Tokelau migrant study results and interpretations. This guy and Ben Bikman get it far better than any others I have heard. Even if you are not a fan of Chris, listen to this episode and take notes :slight_smile:

(Robin) #2

Can you be sweet and just tell me the answer? I am a coconut oil convert, so interested.

(KCKO, KCFO) #3

Robin,
Notes on that are at: https://chrismasterjohnphd.substack.com/p/041-is-coconut-oil-killing-us

Short answer no coconut oils is not harmful and helps on many fronts.

(Bob M) #4

I think everything he says is correct, though I’m not convinced of this:

I tried coconut oil and dried coconut for a while, and if there was increased energy expenditure and/or decreased appetite, it was hard to find.

(Michael) #5

A more nuanced answer would be that while Chris believes Coconut Oil is most likely beneficial as compared to PUFAs, the evidence is not conclusive. The meta-analyses are completely dependent on the studies that they include, but most if not all of those studies have confounding factors. One could invalidate most of the studies on reasonable grounds, or at least come to reasonably different conclusions on the data due to the amount of confounders. From a truly objective opinion, saturated fats RCTs provide inconclusive evidence in general, such that there should be no recommendation either for or against the intake of saturated fat, and hints that, in fact, we should limit PUFAs instead.

What is so interesting in his discussion is the details about the studies, things that are not easily found in the literature but which surely are significant, such as one really well done study in all ways except one (the LA Veterans study) randomized very well, except for smokers. The SFA group have twice as many heavy smokers than the PUFA group. Obviously a large confounder in heart disease. This information is noted in the publication, but the difference in smokers is not as easily found. In the same study, he notes the way in which they cooked changed the vitamin E content on the SFA side, again, something not seen in the papers directly. Those kind of specifics for each study.

(Bob M) #6

In science, evidence is never conclusive. There are only theories.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

And, "The preponderance of the evidence suggests . . . " :grin:

(Geoffrey) #8

I use a tablespoon of coconut oil and a tablespoon of butter in my tea every morning. I wonder if that has anything to do with why I don’t get hungry until around noon or later.

Coconuts and humans have a common ancestor.

I’m guessing. Just wanted to join in.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

Sure, if we go back far enough, lol! :rofl::rofl: