Cloud bread ok?

(AnnaLeeThal) #1

I have never made cloud bread before last night. Had some egg whites that needed using so I whipped them with cream of tartar and then mixed in some cream cheese. That’s it.

Is something like this ok on ZC? I realize everyone kinda does their own thing, but I assume it’s ok since there are no plants, flour, nuts, etc… They were so easy to make and actually tasty so I would probably make them regularly for some variety and something to slather butter or other things on.

(anonymous159) #2

Of course! Cloud bread, aka oopsie bread, is only animal products.

(Charndra Pile) #3

That was me. Didn’t know I’d been logged out. Weird it let me post.

(AnnaLeeThal) #4

That’s what I figured, I didn’t know if there was some weird rule that you can’t eat stuff that is pretending to be a carb.

(Charndra Pile) #5

I understand some would say so. I’m new too, and am considering that so long as it’s animal products only, with no sweet, it’s fair game. :grinning:

(Genevieve Biggs) #6

I think the only concern is that substitution foods like cloud bread can trigger cravings. As long as it doesn’t make you want more and more, it should be okay. :+1:

(AnnaLeeThal) #7

I really try to pay attention to this.

(Sam Perez) #8

If it’s all actually food i imagine it’s fine. There was definitely a while where I was “Keto baking” a lot and realized I was still just eating a bunch of artificial sweetener and nutritionally bankrupt stuff, so even if it’s not as blatantly poisonous as actually sugary things, it’s still not a terribly healthy relationship with food.

(AnnaLeeThal) #9

Yep. Totally agree. I haven’t done a lot of Keto baking for this reason. Oh yeah, and because I’m lazy.

(Ramsés C.) #10

I’ve tried to stay away from keto baking but this ‘cloud bread’ sounds interesting. Any good recipe?

:fork_and_knife:

(AnnaLeeThal) #11

The recipe I’ve been using is 3-4 egg whites, 1/8 tsp cream of tartar beaten until stiff. Then fold in softened cream cheese. Plop in circles on a greased or parchment lined pan, bake at 300 degrees until lightly browned. Maybe 25-30 min.

I’m experimenting with perfecting the recipe. I tried it with sour cream last night. That was good too.

(softail925) #12

You got me curious … I may have to whip some up for breakfast thanks!

After whipping the egg whites until stiff with the cream of tartar, I gently fold in the yolks which add the nutritional density, unlike the whites. You could also gently fold in the cream cheese, but I have not tried that, since I am sensitive to dairy.
Place any shape on parchment paper baked @ 300 until firm which depends on the shape and thickness of your “oopsie”.
I do wonder about losing the nutritional content of the very delicate fat soluble vitamins when the yolk is cooked, however.

(AnnaLeeThal) #14

I’m going to try these using the yolks next time, the only reason I didn’t was because I used the yolks for a different recipe. The whites were left over!

The last two times I made these they turned out funny, curled up on the sides. So…some more experimentation is in order.