Clothing Box Success

nsv
clothes

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #1

As I’ve been losing weight this past year, to keep myself in clothing that fits, I get a subscription box of clothing picked by a stylist for me to buy.

Two months ago, everything was too big, so I sent it back. I updated my sizing, and got my new box yesterday.

I am comfortably wearing size 36x32 straight leg jeans. Not crammed in to them or anything like that. A year ago, I was cramming into 42x30.

I am comfortably wearing a shirt that is sized large and slim fit. I was wearing XXL last year.

I kept three of the five items from the box, the jeans and two shirts, whereas I have never kept more than one item in the past, largely due to fit issues.

They have a much wider selection of things in large and size 36 pants than XL and 38 or XXL and 40.

Very happy.

(Amy Ramadan) #2

Awesome!!! It’s a great feeling isn’t it?

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #3

Last time I did this with any great success, I got down to 36, but the jeans I got then didn’t fit that well, and I kind of decided on maintenance at a slightly higher weight. This time, I have enough anxiety about relapsing that I’m planning on getting rid of my size 38 jeans, so I have no recourse.

(Jill F.) #4

That is a great idea! I am kind of in between sizes and really hate to go buy a lot of clothes in any particular size since I still have 30 pounds to lose.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #5

I was in the process of losing fairly quickly at the start, and went from 42 to 38 and needed some pants, so I went shopping at Target for some jeans, because I knew I wouldn’t be at 38 for good. Tried on a bunch of pairs, established 38" as the waist size, then went to EBay and found three pairs of business caz pants for work in 38"x31". Got two pair of Brooks Brothers and a pair of Banana Republics for <$80, which have served me nicely for the interim. The EBAY/Resale solution was a BIG winner for that interim period with more inches to lose.

New jeans are fancy, indigo dye Egyptian cotton denim… Mavi. Not as fancy as jeans get, but as fancy as I’m ever liable to own. Since I’m not entirely sure 36" is the bottom, I can hold these, but I suspect I will be 36" for at least 6 months, if not longer, I think I can afford a bit more on some special items. And the subscription box makes is much easier. I get five pieces every two months. I pay for what I keep, if I keep all five, I get a 25% discount on the whole order. StitchFix is the company, but there are a ton of these types of things for men, and probably three for women for every one for men.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #6

I am so tempted to try StitchFix. Good to hear from someone who has tried it. Glad to hear you’re having fun with the new clothes

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #7

I will say it’s important to get your sizing right. You really want to keep at least one thing, as you’ve paid $20 towards it just to get the box there.

My stylist has sent very few things that I haven’t liked. This go, it was a shirt that fit oddly and a sweater after I just got three for the holidays.

I started in a tight 46 when I was 255 on my 5’7” frame. Now down to 188 and getting into a looser-by-the-day 40x30. I could easily wear a 38x30 but want to get the most use out of these fairly new 40x30s despite them getting baggier and baggier.

Problem is that I only have those two pairs of well-fitting jeans to wear in my entire wardrobe. All my dress pants are way too big now and soon will be off to the Goodwill, etc.

Glad I’m retired. Won’t need anything but the jeans until it’s time to buy spring/summer shorts.

Oh, the woes of Keto success.

PS — also quickly running out of shirts and belts.

(Cindy) #9

I think I’d like to try one of these box types things once I lose more weight. I HATE clothes shopping. Even when I’d lost 85 lbs and was in “normal” sizes, I hated it. Just not a shopper at heart. But I LOVE getting mail. :wink: So I think that would be a good compromise to get away from my blue jeans and t-shirts (usually with holes in them because, again…hate shopping).

(Empress of the Unexpected) #10

That is what worries me. I bought jeans at Target and was a size 8. Went to American Eagle Outfitters and was a size 2.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #11

I hate shopping as well. But want more jeans and t-shirts! I may try it.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #12

Yeah, men’s sizes seem to be a bit more consistent, but even there, not all 38” waist bands are 38”

(Jenny) #13

honestly most of my wardrobe is ebay or consignment store purchase. ebay is phenomenal. I pay around 6.00 including shipping for most items (i almost always buy Victoria secret clothes). I tried poshmark but thought it was overpriced.

I’ve often considered stitch fix and I’m so glad to know how it works now!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #14

Thrift stores are my friend until I get where I am going. Also wearing old clothes that I had put away, and that feels great.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #15

I’ve always shopped at thrift stores because I can make clothing so if something didn’t fit I’d alter it. If I saw something way too small, I’d buy something that matched it and combine both things to fit my body. I never realized (or maybe forgot) what little selection there is out there for larger people, off the rack.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16

Good Will for the win! :bacon:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #17

I’m not sure, because I haven’t used any of these services myself, being out of the shipping area, but I think one of the selling points is that you can give the stylist your measurements and they can worry about sizing. And the more you use the service the more accurate it gets. According to podcast advertising.