Cilantro & Amond Allergies

(Kelly Poggi) #1

My husband has a severe allergy to not only almonds but cilantro. As most low carb, keto, and vegan diets have these two foods throughout the diet plan; I’m truly at a loss to help his type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, very high bad cholesterol. The doctors have him on a lot of different medicine for all of this but the high levels of bad interactions between these medicines are falling on deaf ears.
Can someone please help? I don’t know what to do to help my husband healthy, he’s my best friend!

(Bob M) #2

I very rarely eat almonds. They are high in PUFAs. There is no reason to ever eat an almond.

For cilantro, I also rarely eat this.

Low carb/keto for 6 years on 1/1/20.

There are plenty of options for food without either of those.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

No almonds or cilantro here, either.

PS: I do not feel deprived as a result.

I have many food allergies and sensitivities (all adult onset), I find Keto eating to make it easier to avoid most allergens. Coconut flour can be a good substitute for almond flour in recipes (nuts can be problematic so no need to include them if they cause issues). Cilantro is in very few recipes other than South American cuisine, lots of herbs to substitute for flavor without the reaction. Hope you can get things sorted & he feels better soon :blush:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

You don’t need complex special recipes, Simple is best to start. Good luck, I believe with a wife like you your husband is in good hands. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Bob M) #6

If you want more of a challenge, try to find keto recipes without dairy. That’s harder. Even then, I go a while without dairy. Just meat, eggs, fish, veggies, etc.

I almost never eat them and it would be very easy to skip them. Actually, I will do just that when I start my carnivore trial :smiley:
Newbie ketoers often have this problem but don’t worry, keto allows so many ingredients (actually, it bans nothing, you just need to lower your carb intake enough) and many of us started keto with zillion little personal restrictions (I didn’t eat meat, lactose, avocado, most green leaves and close to nothing from the expensive stuff like almonds) and found it easy enough (I needed a bigger carb limit than usual but it was below my personal carb limit for ketosis). Keto without almonds and cilantro sounds a piece of cake (maybe it wasn’t the best metaphor though I can make nice keto cakes without almonds and cilantro :P)… Keto is popular, we live in a planet with zillion people and internet, there are every kinds of recipes, I found many vegan keto and carnivore recipes too, you need nothing that extreme :stuck_out_tongue: I avoid normal recipes because they really overuse almond floor and dairy with lactose and many other things I don’t eat but there is such a big variety, I am sure you can find good recipes. I would search for a page with simple ones (and this forum has topics with good recipes), I love cooking and baking but I still like keep it simple, it still can be super tasty and just right for me and my family…

Good luck, I hope your husband will get much better, I have a dear relative with health problems (diabetes and others) where diet changes would be really helpful and she doesn’t want to change more (she did to some extent due to doctor’s orders but that’s not enough), it’s quite sad :frowning:

(bulkbiker) #8

There’s no cilantro or almonds in meat, fish and eggs or green veg so base all meals around those and most of his health conditions will disappear.
My T2, hypertension both went and I educated myself about cholesterol so I now know that my levels are great (and way better than they were before)

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #9

Keto is a science experiement, it’s your OWN plan. You don’t need to follow any particular plan to make it work for you.

I rarely eat almonds or nuts, they hinder my weight loss.
I don’t eat Cilantro either :slight_smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

Cilantro may be in recipes for its strong flavour, but it is by no means essential to a well-formulated ketogenic diet.

Almonds are sometimes recommended as a reasonably decent keto snack, but they too are not essential to a ketogenic diet. Almond flour often appears in recipes intended to produce keto-friendlier versions of the foods they mimic, but these foods are not essential to a ketogenic diet either.

If you choose to incorporate these replacement foods into your diet, you can substitute coconut flour, though be sure to increase the liquid substantially, since coconut flour is much more absorptive than almond flour. But it is perfectly possible to eat a well-formulated ketogenic diet without nuts or nut flours. If you stick to meats, eggs, bacon, and leafy greens, you can still eat well and enjoyably.