Chronic constipation on the carnivore diet

(Dreaming Butterfly Butterfly) #1

Hello, everybody. I am doing the carnivore diet for about 2 years. It has been great for my energy, weight maintanence, muscle pain, tooth sensibility, etc. But I spent the great majority of this time with diarrhea or constipation, in the last times only constipation. I tried every tip in the internet, without success. I was afraid I would have to abandon the carnivore diet, because I was even with pain and bleeding when “going to the bathroom”. But finally i discovered something that made effect.

It is Brewer’s yeast powder. I started using it about two months ago and it is literaly saving my ass. I know it is not a carnivore food and has fiber, that generate a lot of gas depending on the quantity… but for me it has being a real miracle. I ate about 150g per day in the biginning. Many days even more then 200g because it is really delicious mixtured with melted butter, with a pasty consistency. Now I am trying to limit it to about 75g to not surpass the 20g of carbs per day and stay in ketosis.

I am not sure if it is healthy. But maybe, if like me, you tried everything and is about to give up, it could be of some help.

(Bunny) #2

I take Brewer’s yeast also awesome stuff!

But I toast it in a pan with a little heat before I eat it, you have to make sure it’s dead.

And you want to make sure it is non-fortified to eliminate those pesky man made vitamins and get the natural vitamins that are naturally in the yeast after toasting it but don’t burn it.

Sorry for you zc troubles. Sounds like you never adapted thru cqause you were in and out of zc maybe?? You said ‘in the last times’ and that means you are on and off zc cause if you were constant zc for 2 years you kinda wouldn’t be wording your 2 years in this manner I would think? if you are jumping in and out of zc then you will never get the zc benefits. You have to adapt thru anything, you have to work with that and adapt/wiggle fat of your foods around between lean and fatty as you adapt thru and once you start to heal, it all works and evens out for most (unless you are medically unsound tho with troubles in some way)

but in all honestly if you are trying to get down to like 2 oz of yeast to ‘save you in some way’ and use it as a OTC fix for zc troubles then it would be ok to use in a way…but more of that junk you use the more you will never adapt thru and heal as needed on zc.

I would also suggest if you were faithfully on zc for 2 years you would need to see a Dr at this point cause it could be medical, but to me with the wording of this post it sounds like in and out of zc with whatever foods is causing more troubles too. Dr. visit may be in order tho.

ZC people do not ‘strive to stay in ketosis’ and you are trying to hang around 20g in carbs. You just are not zc and it is ok to go back to keto and do that plan if you feel better. It sounds like your zc adventures were hit and miss on eating other junk in your time on this plan and when you do that it just will never, ever work as you wanting zc benefits but you are eating a keto based or junky based menu at certain times.

Now I am wondering on alot of that but by the way your post is worded alot of red flags fly out that zc is not a constant for you. Ketovore which they are now calling it seems to be your path. Go for it and hope your ketovore type eating plan works well for you. Best of luck.

(Elizabeth ) #4

sounds as though you aren’t eating enough, or need more fat in your diet. proper 100% carnivore seems to be the cure for many digestive issues, mine included. Try 6 months of 1.5-2 lb. at least of fatty meats.

So true E…one must be on plan all in for zc to work magic. Great advice.