Cholesterol- the good, the bad, and the unknowns

Hi

I was talking with a friend who has high cholesterol and want’s to continue doing lazy keto, but her last tests showed the ‘bad’ kind went up and the ‘good’ kind tested lower than before she started keto. She says she’s concerned about eating butter and fatty meats as she thinks these aren’t ‘good’ fats.

any links or insight would be most appreciated on this topic.

thanks

(Ron) #2

You might find more here -
https://www.ketogenicforums.com/c/health/cholesterol

(Empress of the Unexpected) #3

From what I have learned from the forum, it also depends on how long your friend has been doing keto. I’ve been advised to wait six months before I have my bloodwork done. There are fluctuations in various types of cholesterol during the first six months.

(Mark Rhodes) #4

also try www.cholesterolcode.com for an indepth look.

Should you and your friend want to understand why there is so much misunderstanding about these numbers you really need to read The Big Fat Surprise by Nina Teicholz.

(Alec) #5

There are MANY great resources referenced in the cholesterol section.

(shane ) #6

Not sure what lazy Keto is, but I might fit that description at times.

I have had high cholesterol for years and I also was worried about the switch. I recently switched to keto and have had my best cholesterol numbers ever.

LDL dropped 40 percent and over 60 points.
Trigs dropped from 145 to 77
HDL went up as well.

So everything has improved. Ken Berry I found to be a good resource. Additionally, as Mark linked, Dave Feldman’s research helped me to go ahead and give it a try.

I was lucky that I saw an immediate improvement. I was honestly expecting for mine to be higher as well, but I knew if I kept doing this diet it would all fall in line eventually.