Cholesterol out of range, am I going to die?

cholesterol

So I’m 8 weeks on carnivore keto. 31 male, I’m eating about 2500 kcal a day, 70% fat, 30% protein, traces of carbs. Feeling great.

I don’t have any previous resoults to compare to. I’m quite scared about the non-HDL being out of range :open_mouth:

Edit: on 12 hrs fast, but had a 600g of rump steak 1hr before bed.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

We all die eventually.

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #3

Some good info for you here:

Nothing to be scared about.

The standard of care cholesterol targets are mostly unscientific nonsense.

(Bob M) #4

Are you male or female? That HDL is very good (81 in US units), and your trigs are relatively low (111 in US units). Those are really what to look at. Your trigs could come down, but that also might take a while.

I’m sure your LDL (242 in US units) did cause your practitioner to freak, though.

Male

Hah yeah that’s what I was told by the reviewer:

Your total cholesterol is raised, as is your bad LDL cholesterol, but you have a fair level of protective HDL cholesterol. Your levels raise the possibility of a genetic condition where high cholesterol levels are present in families. This can increase your risk of heart problems and I would suggest you discuss this with your GP if it has not been investigated previously. They may wish to repeat the test, refer you to a hospital clinic for further investigation, or offer you a cholesterol tablet (a statin). If you have a history of heart problems at a young age in your family, this is more likely to be a concern.

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #7

This is simply not true, though it is a mythical belief held by the medical community.

You might consider looking at the studies referenced in my earlier link…

… the Minnesota Coronary Experiment, a 4-year long RCT of a low-fat diet involving 9423 subjects, actually reported an increase in mortality and cardiovascular events despite a 13% reduction in total cholesterol.

I did check it out, thanks!

Also I read that “coffee can impact lipolysis and thus increase resulting LDL (even a day or two later)”. I drink double fat cream with my morning coffee.

Also maybe I can ask about iron here as well…

So my blood iron level came out high at 37.9 umol/L and Transferrin saturation also high - at 69%, but Ferritin in normal range. Is this something I should worry about? For the last few weeks I’ve been eating a lot of meat which I think caused some iron overload

(bulkbiker) #10

So how long had you water fasted before the bloods were taken for the test?

Like I said 12 hrs, but that includes 8hrs sleep

(bulkbiker) #12

So no coffee with cream in the morning?

Edit to add… your Trig HDL ratio at 0.6 is brilliant anything under 0.87 (in UK units) is considered great so yours extra great.
LDL will be a calculated number and the calcs don’t work very well for people following a keto diet.
Your doctor will freak out but you’re probably at far less danger of a heart attack than they are when they see your numbers.

No coffee, but I read it can affect readings on the following days

(bulkbiker) #14

With your Trig/HDL ratio I’d be very happy.

(charlie3) #15

This is interesting. I’m another one of those super high LDL people. I’ve noticed ultalab has a test for LDL that’s measured directly and not calculated. There are also other ways to measure these various lipids that might look through the hyperresponder numbers. Next time around what are the lipid tests should I order beyond the simple ones.

To the OP, nobody can garrantee you of anything for your specific situation. I find I need 30-40 grams net carbs to avoid going carb crazy in the long run (all those carbs are in the giant salad I favor). I’ve seen some advise it can be wise to reduce carbs more gradually, give your body some time to adjust. I believe my fat adaption was rapid in the early months but continues to improve, slowly, after 2 years. What keeps me on my diet is I love my food.

(Bob M) #16

Can you get GGT taken?

Now, high iron MIGHT actually be something to be concerned about. That should come down, though, over time.

What was the ferritin level? ALT? AST?

You might also give blood, if you can do this in your area. Though, I think I’d just wait for a while and retest.

Your HDL is quite high for a male. Normally, it’s a lot lower except in lean mass hyper-responders (lean, athletic people).

I did GGT as well: 14 IU/L (range: 10-71)
Ferritin, ALT, AST too, in fact I will attach the whole thing

I would consider myself athletic, my scale says 49.2% of my body mass are muscles and 14.2% body fat. This device is not super accurate but other body fat scales give me simmilar results.

I just watched this video, it’s incredible how big farma manipulated the data to make it look like statins and lowering LDL prevents heart disease. It actually increases the risk of diabetes. I’m speachless.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #19

Your ratio of triglycerides to HDL is wonderful (0.6), well below the 0.9 that indicates a cardiovascular risk of practically zero. An NMR of your LDL is virtually guaranteed to show the healthy Pattern A. No need to worry. There are all kinds of reasons to think that our cholesterol is not the great bogey monster it’s been made out to be, but I won’t go into them yet again. Just go on YouTube and search on “David Diamond cholesterol.” Not only will you be entertained, you will also learn some interesting science.

(engineer Lu) #20

Another good source of information is Aussie doctor Paul Mason. Find his short video on YouTube, “Blood tests on a ketogenic diet.” You are most likely in really good shape and have nothing to worry about!