Cholesterol new

I found this as a big interest in learning new stuff about chol. and its property. throwing out in general forum for info

(Geoffrey) #2

Just one more reason to avoid seed oils. Just knowing what they were invented for and how theyā€™re made was enough to turn me off.

yea cause before this more indepth video about how plant sterols wreck the body I gotta say I would allow eating a bit when out and about and forced to eat zc at restaurant etc. I mean I never use seed oils for me at home anymore ever, but if out and I bought chicken wings, I would not ask if they were fried in seed oil. I would order and eat.

Now I am going to control it even tighter down to no seed oils. Darn that means watching big time how I have to order out and eat but it is always worth it to me to control what I wanna put into this olā€™ body :slight_smile:

I always said soda and cereal were THE most useless food on the planet, I am gonna add a third and say all seed oils also LOL

I knew they were nasty, but not this darn nasty!!

(Denise) #4

Hmm :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I was recommended using Sunflower ā€œbutterā€ in a recipe for fat-bombs. I donā€™t make them often but now I am wondering about SB and whether I should use it or not. I havenā€™t listened to the video yet, Iā€™m being super quiet as I had insomnia again, donā€™t want to wake my neighbors. Also, I am wondering about the Grapeseed oil I bought to use on my skin, anyway, Iā€™ll check it out as well, but I luckily never thought of cooking with it.

Oh crap, Iā€™ve seen this, so gross at first, Iā€™ll watch again though, maybe more will sink in this time. I eat Flaxseed and Chia Seeds too, 1 Tsp each in on top of my omelettes. Probably stop doing that :grimacing:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Why not substitute real butter? Itā€™s a traditional food for a reason, and was used long before olive oil became a foodstuff five hundred years ago. The ancient Greeks and Romans cooked with butter, lard, and tallow. They used olive oil as a lamp fuel and a skin treatment, not as food. And they lacked the technology to refine seed oils, so those werenā€™t even in the picture.

(Denise) #6

Your timing is perfect Paul, I was looking around online, and wondering how to stop using EVOO as well as any seed oils. Yes, butter will work fine!! Iā€™m going to also try and stop eating the peanuts and Walnuts because wouldnā€™t that same apply to them as they have the oils made from them?

Good video but didnā€™t have any replacement-recommends, I still love listening to Dr. Paul Mason though :slight_smile:

well you said something very interesting about youā€¦you need to watch it again! THAT IS always fine when we get hit with big azz medical info and kinda say, WTH??? LOL I had to watch it a few times also :slight_smile:

key being is a tad of what you do use seed oils for ok with you in the end, I mean vs what life is out there on crap food and who we are eating now, is that amt ok? Or do we find this as a dump the whole darn lot of this crappy seed oil and we feel ok doing just that?

TAKE YOUR time on how ya wanna roll and what it means to you personally. THAT is all we ever can do for sure.

So as we see ā€˜this stuffā€™ out there we as individuals will gauge our own perspective on what we feel comfortable with, but I get your post and the feelings behind it.

BUT LIKE Paul said, find subs. real butter, real bacon fat, real beef fat, real chicken fat, can any of this do what the plant oils are doing for ya?

Available only then. Now processed any plant oil is on the buy shelf! :wink:

I am SO glad you watched this cause I know this is something you can handle knowledge wise and what are your thoughts on it all?

(KM) #8

A lot of how well we can implement that choice depends on the rest of our lifestyle, too. Truthfully I donā€™t think itā€™s possible to eat in a restaurant, no matter how upscale you go, and not be exposed to seed oils. That is simply what goes on the grill for any meat, or burger, or even bacon, or an omelet. No one is cooking in butter, itā€™s got too low a smoke point for a commercial operation, and the other animal fats are too rare. If oneā€™s a ketovore itā€™s even worse - salad dressings, ā€œbutteredā€ vegetables, ā€œcheeseā€ā€¦

I agree that in nearly any case itā€™s technically possible to bring your own clean protein, but life sure tries to get in the way of that!

(Geoffrey) #9

Agreed.
I wouldnā€™t even call them food. They are a machine lubricant.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

Iā€™ve watched videos by Dr. Mason ever since he first discovered keto, and the growth in his knowledge has been fascinating to watch. He has gotten deeply into the research and really grasps the implications. He is not afraid to express his opinions, but unlike Dr. Chaffee (whom I also like a lot), he is more careful to distinguish his opinions from the known facts.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

If thatā€™s our only exposure to seed oils, however, itā€™s probably okay to eat out, especially infrequently. As you say, the realities of our lives determine a lot of this. A lot of this also depends on where we are coming from. Eating at McDonaldā€™s can be a vast improvement for many people, and we shouldnā€™t let our desire for perfection keep us from trying for improvements.

Dr. Lustigā€™s mantra, ā€œJust eat real food,ā€ is helpful, because it reminds us of where we are heading. However, perhaps we donā€™t stress enough that the first and most essential step in keto is bringing down the carb intake, so that insulin can drop. The rest comes as we really get into this way of eating. Once we discover what our foods are doing to us, it becomes easier to make changes.

(KM) #12

Thatā€™s why I said it depends on our lifestyle. For some of us, itā€™s a matter of rolling our eyes and putting up with the bi-annual Crisco on the steak. But itā€™s easy to forget that many people, especially those with busy lives or bustling careers, may eat out multiple times a week.

(Denise) #13

I wish Iā€™d saved the video where he literally cracks up the whole audience, including me. The one where the doctors wanted a guy on statins (pretty sure it was statins) and he showed the picture show the amount of fat, or lack thereof :joy: in the guys body?? LOL! That was the first of Dr. Mason Iā€™d seen :slight_smile:

(Denise) #14

My issue is more ā€œmentalā€ Iā€™m afraid:rofl: I donā€™t trust people I donā€™t know at all preparing my food. When Iā€™m out walking around lunch-time, I almost gag walking by our Senior Center where they send out Meals on Wheels. No, itā€™s not a 4 star restaurant, but I canā€™t think just because someone rich owns a restaurant everything is perfectly safe to eat. Just call me Adrian Monk :sweat_smile:

(KM) #15

I didnā€™t mean that a fancy restaurant would necessarily be more sanitary or a less expensive one would be dirty, though. What Iā€™m saying is that no matter how much youā€™re willing to spend to get food that fits your eating pattern, as a clean carnivore you probably wonā€™t find it out in the wide world. In other words, you can eat at McDonalds and theyā€™re going to be putting a seed oil on the burger. Or you can eat at Ruthā€™s Chris ā€¦ and theyā€™re going to be putting a fancy seed oil marinade on the $90 steak.

(Denise) #16

That wasnā€™t a personal statement I made, itā€™s how I feel about restaurants, nothing to do with your personal interests :slight_smile:

I get ya LOL
too darn funny, plus I do love Adrian :sunny:

Of course. Why would you? I donā€™t do it either.
But itā€™s easy for me as I never eat out these days. I do eat chicken made with a little sunflower oil at a relative about once a monthā€¦ My body can handle it, I donā€™t want to bring my own food all the time.
Once I counted and I suppose I have eaten about one tonne sunflower oil in my lifeā€¦ It is the number one cooking oil here and well, we cooked fatty and ate little meat and lots of vegs, vegs need a lot of added fat if you ask meā€¦ The processed items had it tooā€¦ One. Tonne. Oh my god. I was only 35 when I stopped (well, I donā€™t cook with it myself. I do eat some but itā€™s very little).