Chocolate!

(Hannah Conway) #1

I read a few times that cravings for sweet things go away with keto but i yet to experience that(2m keto). I eat to satisfy but i still crave something chocolatey after dinner about half the time specially when its that time of the month or my childs driving me crazy! Anyone else still get cravings? I like doing lillys choco barwith a table spoon of almond butter on top. What about you?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

If you cater to sweet, the longer it takes to get over it. Keto isn’t magic. You still have to deal with cravings and decide not to let them control your life. That said, some folks eat unsweetened 100% chocolate to ease withdrawal. There are apparently some nutritional benefits in cocoa. But not in the sugar that usually accompanies it! However, see @ctviggen response below re oxalates.

(Kathy Timmons) #3

I had a real problem with sweets (chocolate esp) before Keto. I decided that I didn’t need to eat any kind of fat bombs or fake desserts or chocolate for the first year. It worked for me and the cravings left. I now eat a piece of dark sugar free chocolate every night for dessert and it doesn’t trigger me.
We are all so different…you just have to see what works for you! :slight_smile: Good luck!

(Hannah Conway) #4

I know…i did give up drinking when i started keto. So now I have chocolate I need something to soothe my soul after a crappy day at work lol

(Stephanie ) #5

This is my go to when having those cravings. :grin:

(Hannah Conway) #6

Im so looking for that next time im in the grocery store

(Stephanie ) #7

I love it on sugar free jello or honestly just straight outta the container hehe :crazy_face:

(Susan) #8

I had to eliminate all sugar substitutes to have no cravings for sweet stuff. Since I have done this; I am able to resist. Sometimes I want a treat (but I make Fat bombs that have no sweeteners but taste yummy to me). I use a brick of cream cheese, 1 cup of coconut oil (the solid kind) and Orange extract (no carbs, no calories, no sweetener in it) and/or Vanilla extract, and blend it with my hand mixer, and then freeze in silicone trays into the freezer. When they are frozen, I put them into an airtight container, and then eat one or two for desert when I feel like it.

I make some of my own chocolates:

…and I make cupcakes, using a chocolate donut recipe:

I sometimes put Lily’s chocolate chips on chaffles just out of the waffle iron. They melt nicely. That works so much better than putting the chocolate chips in the batter.

(Hannah Conway) #10

The chocolate coconut haystacks are genius! My 2 favorite ingedrients!!

Do you mind sharing the recipe for the chocolate cupcakes?

(Kirk Wolak) #12

Dr. Robert Cywes says “All Snacking is emotional eating” I think we can throw that “need” for a dessert/treat in there…

Take the time out to make a gratitude list. A list of people, starting when you were small, to say thankyou to. I thank my Kindergarten Teacher, Mrs. Romero for putting up with me! I thank my 5th grade teacher for giving me lunch duty because I got into so much trouble during recess… All the way through to present day. Write it out!

Truly reflect and try to feel the thanks as if they can feel it! Take your time. Spend 5-10 minutes doing that, and after that, if you still want the chocolate, HAVE IT! But make yourself address the “feelings” issue. We feel whatever we focus on!!!

BTW, I take 1 bar (4 oz) of Bakers Chocolate. I put it in a ziploc and add 4 splenda packs. Melt it with hot water in my thermos cup, but you could nuke it if careful. I mixe it well. Then I “pipe” it into Silicone Molds [by cutting out off a corner] so I get 10 servings. This has < 1g net carbs. It is “Dark” chocolate by definition, no milk or oils I react to. And I only eat it after my meal!

It was in the link, by clicking on the image:

Original recipe: https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/low-carb-classic-chocolate-donuts

I’m not a fan of coffee, so I changed it up a bit. And I think cupcakes are easier to make.

Wet Ingredients:

• 1/4 cup butter, melted (or 1/4 cup coconut oil)
• 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
• 6 tbsp unsweetened coconut milk
• 4 large eggs

Dry Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup coconut flour
• 1/3 cup sweetener
• 3 tbsp cocoa powder
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1/4 tsp salt

Directions:

• Preheat the oven to 325F
• Combine all wet ingredients in Magic Bullet
• Whisk together all of the dry ingredients
• Combine wet ingredient with dry ingredients
• Divide batter between six cupcake molds (I sometimes top with Lilly’s Chocolate Chips)
• Bake for about 20 minutes
• Remove from oven and let cool

Instead of pouring it out, just snip off the corner of the Ziploc bag and pipe it into the molds.

I do my deviled eggs similarly, putting the yolks and other ingredients into a Ziploc bag, then kneading the bag until everything is mixed, then snip the corner and pipe the yolk mixture into the halved egg whites.

('Jackie P') #15

It’s good for you :hugs:

(Kirk Wolak) #16

That’s EXACTLY what I do.
I fixed the post.
I twist the top into a “bob” shape, cut the corner and squeeze it into the molds.

I just bought a silicone bar mold that makes 1oz per bar, that can be broken into pieces easily. Looking forward to testing it.

It’s the only chocolate that does not result in a migraine the next day!

(Bob M) #17

My problem with chocolate is I can’t eat it near bedtime (seems to cause poor sleep) and it’s filled with oxalates. See here:

And since oxalates sequester nutrients and prevent their absorption, you’re not getting anywhere near the values in that table.

When I eat chocolate (high % chocolate, that is), I try to eat it with yogurt or other high calcium product.

(Hannah Conway) #18

Luckly i never have that problem. Actually i seem to sleep better with a little nip of chocolate after dinner…but i do eat dinner early in the evening btwn 5 and 6

(Hannah Conway) #19

We all know most desserts or snacks are emotional eating bit we do it anyways. Theres worse things to be doing then chocolate. Chocolate for me has the same relaxing effects as a cocktail

Thanks, I will definitely try these.