Chinese restaurant

(Tina ) #1

What’s a good choice? Egg foo yung ok? ( without sauce or rice)

(Brad) #2

Depends on how it is made, but unfortunately most Chinese food uses soy and other not so keto ingredients when cooking it.

I miss my Chinese food, but I like my health more.

(Tina ) #3

Ooh well. I’m glad I just ordered a side salad then since I wasn’t 100% sure. I’ll just skip that place going forward
Thanks Brad

(bulkbiker) #4

I usually just go for the crispy duck or crispy lamb and would ask for lettuce leaves instead of the pancakes.

(James storie) #5

When I eat Chinese, which is very rarely, I get egg foo yung. I don’t get the rice, but I do sample the gravy! But I can’t even remember the last time I had it.

(Jennifer) #6

Egg foo yong is my favorite, but I like the gravy. I think it’s the salt and fat in the gravy that makes it. I bet some coconut aminos and a little butter would be close? Maybe I’ll get take out and play with it a bit…

(Tim W) #7

We don’t go out to eat much anymore, we’ve been using many of the websites to re-create our favorites. I know this doesn’t really speak to your specific question BUT, in case you feel a desire to “scratch that itch” after visiting…

Cauliflower Fried Rice | Better Than Take-Out!

(Tina ) #8

I’m going to try this! Yum

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #9

ERMERGERD.
You guys reminded me I have an EXCELLENT keto egg fu yung recipe.
Now to find it…

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #10

Still looking. Remind me. I have it!!!

I just figured out what that means! A little slow on the uptake here…

Why would soy be not so keto?

(Brad) #13

To some it is highly inflammatory. I cut it out and feel so much better.

(Meeping up the Science!) #14

I skip anything that can have starch in it. I often will get meats and veg stir fried with sauce on the side, no cornstarch or breading. To be honest, I find I often skip American-style Chinese food, as I have not tolerated it well since keto.

Traditional Chinese is another matter, as many more of those dishes are keto friendlier. Sadly, they are not often served to Americans.

(James storie) #15

Also, for anyone with thyroid issues, soy is a no go. It messes with the overall function and decreases the effectiveness of the thyroid meds. I still have soy sauce once in a while, but I definitely try to avoid it.

(Jo O) #16

Soy sauce is usually fermented soy beans AND wheat.
Tamari sauce is soy beans only.

I have a child with gluten issues so I get the gluten free soy sauce. Also, she really wanted chinese recently so the family went to PF Chang’s which has a gluten free menu. I think in general ordering off the GF menu may be a better option although I realize they can still have corn starch and other non keto items. Plus the beef and brocoli was pretty good and H and I did not get cravings