Chicken isn't good for weight loss

(Samer Marcos) #1

I heard someone on a podcast recently talking about something that is in chicken that makes it difficult to lose weight. Anyone know where the science is? What is it in the chicken? I think he said it was the same for all lean meats like lean Pork cuts etc…

(Brian) #2

We don’t avoid chicken. But we also happen to like those juicy thighs which have more fat on them. :slight_smile: Honestly, though, it’s not all that uncommon for us to just get a whole bird and roast it eating pretty much all of it, white, dark, skin, and I’m sure some of the fat too. Probably different than just buying some boneless skinless breasts.

Sorry that doesn’t address the “science”. Maybe that’ll be along shortly.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

That’s pretty vague. If you expect a realistic response, you’ll have to provide a more detailed question. Who, on what podcast, talking about what in chickens?

(Samer Marcos) #4

thats what I’m trying to remember. It was about something like amino acids in proteins and how there is one in chicken and other lean meats that inhibits weight loss. It would have to be on either 2ketodudes or Ivor Cummins “Fat Emperor” in a very recent episode (within the last 2 weeks). I’m playing back those episodes now on double speed to try to find it.

It sounds weird to me but if some amino acids are the problem why does it matter if it lean or fatty pork? Do those have different non-essential amino acids? I never learned about those. We all eat the essential ones and those seem very fine and satiating. Chicken is satiating too, as far as I can tell. No one keeps us from adding fat if that helps. Let’s assume chicken really isn’t the top ideal food to lose fat in general but it’s still meat, rich in complete protein, I’m pretty sure it’s good for fat-loss for most and most other food would be worse, often significantly.
It’s very complicated anyway. It varies wildly what is good for fat-loss for people, general guidelines aren’t very helpful and maybe chicken just insignificantly worse, in that case who cares?
Lean protein can be really helpful in some cases.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

Sounds like possibly Omega6 fatty acid which in excess can cause an inflammatory response like vegetable oil does. Most people mix up their meats. But focusing on Chicken and Pork might be a problem long term. Ruminant animal meat has a better fat profile. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Bob M) #7

I agree with David, chicken is high in PUFAs. Don’t avoid, but eat more meat like lamb, beef.