Cheryl's 90 Day Carnivore Challenge: Started on Nov 01 going through to Feb 29, 2020

Challenge report

food yesterday was

10 slices bacon
2 s/b chicken breast in gf butter
2 chunks cheddar

got caught. on the road most of the day. got home and no beef defrosted. Bad lapse on my part and I was starving so I hit the chicken and bacon LOL

Holding plan very easily. With the not hungry benefits and feeling of wellness I am just cruising along great.

Carnivore! Carnivore! HA Such a great plan I can’t sing the praises enough of it for me :slight_smile:

@Ketodaisy I’m agreeing with @Fangs about your numbers. You’re going in the right direction which is always a good thing! :slight_smile:

(Mark Nelson) #222

Quick check in. Next few days are crazy busy.
Eating on track with only bone broth, tuna, GF/F beef and eggs.
Liquid intakes are Coffee (Zero sweetners!) and water (some carbonated and with flavoring but no sweetners).

Morning Scale on Thursday was 233 lbs. So zero change from last Sunday evening weigh in.
I’ll do a waist measurement Monday.

Big Challenges this weekend:

1. Working at a Non-profit assembly in Clackamas Or from 11am to 10pm. Did not prepare any food to take with me! Fortunately it’s 30 min from the house and I have meat thawing.

2. Heading up to Seattle Saturday / Sunday and it just occured to me that I need to take things with me so I stuck a 4lb roast in the crock pot to simmer on low with a mixture of GF/F bone broth and water with a little bit of seasonings.

Gave someone a massage last night and my arthritis in my thumbs was killing me. Un (fortunately ?) my eczema isn’t acting up at the moment so long term affects may be hard to gauge.

Week1 done.

Good food prepping by you, Mark. You know, I wonder if in the beginning of carnivore, folks tend to have some things get worse before they resolve? My arthritis got worse on beginning this WOE but seems to be getting better. Also, when I wake up the corners of my eyes are always full of crusty stuff since I started, yet my eyes, mouth and nose are more moist now. They were soooo dry before.

Hope your weekend, even though super busy, is a good one for ya!

Yesterday:
bone broth (last day so I can test)
beef liver
ground beef with heart
pork rinds
bacon
salmon
fats

In the carnivore trial I did I found I had noticeable joint pins & needles sensation, especially in fingers in the early stages. The sandy crusty stuff around the eyes (that can taste ‘salty’) was also noted…

In an interview with Sally K Norton she talks about oxalic acid being released when a person goes on a low oxalate diet. That is pretty much what carnivore eating is. And some may blame the carnivore diet for the symptoms caused by the release of a stored plant toxin: “calcium gunk excreted from the eyes”, joint pain (especially in the digits). increased dental calculus, muscle cramps from the released oxalate binding minerals, itchy skin rashes that start as little red dots as the oxalate works it way out through the skin (probably through excretion via the sweat glands)…

Sally K Norton on the Peak Human podcast Try from about 39m:16s

Interesting to see these observations made in this thread. Is anyone getting peeling skin on their hands or feet, while doing the carnivore challenge?

And here in the forums: Oxalates

(Daisy) #226

Good luck with your weekend!!

(Daisy) #227

Red lobster was delicious. Had scallops, shrimp and sirloin. Hubby got a little annoyed when I didn’t get a salad, but he hates anytime I start a new program. And he really hasn’t had much opportunity to see me eat strict carnivore since I started. In fairness, I have started a lot of programs lol. The results will just have to speak for themselves.

I noticed my hands were peeling after about 6 months of keto and occasionally eye crusties - i think I even posted something about these on my progress thread…i’ll take a look what I ate that made think it was connected to oxalates.

I also remember my thighs covered in tiny pimple-like bumps for about a month, sometime around the 6, 7 months mark…

Itchy skin - that I have from time to time, could be histamine-related, could be oxalates, could be drier air due to heating…

Many will ramp up a bit on issues because of the toxin dumps when changing into carnivore. Will vary for each of us on what physical things come to the surface.

I noticed I did very well in the beginning thru adaption coming from extreme low carb into carnivore. Around month 5-6-7 or so I got SO exhausted. Couldn’t keep my eyes open. All my energy was gone. No idea why but I just rested as much as I could, went to bed early and napped a lot when I could and just let it happen. About 6-7 weeks later it was gone. I got all my energy back and it has never happened again.

The veterans on my carnivore site said it was just the body healing, doing its thing and just roll thru it and they were right…time got me thru it but it was so strange feeling so exhausted like that after I was on plan for a while.

No clue why I went down like that for so long farther into the plan but I got thru it. The body does what it needs to do while changing I guess :slight_smile:

food yesterday was

1 lb. ribeye
1/2 lb. cheeseburger patty

woke up hungry. will hit some food after a while. not sure what I want just yet or how much of it :slight_smile:

Hope everyone is feeling great on the challenge~!

(Daisy) #231

Oh I forgot to mention the best part about last night! No stomachache after eating!!! I literally can’t tell you the last time I ate out at a restaurant and didn’t have stomach pain after. It’s been YEARS. I was super pumped when I thought about it.

Excited for the Brazilian steakhouse this afternoon!

Thank you, Franko, I’ve been following the oxalate thread with interest. The podcast was very informative. The truth is out there if we take the time to look for it and process it. For example, they talked about how 70 years ago just 30% of kidney stones were calcium oxalate whereas now it’s 80%. I ate a lot of nuts (mostly almonds and almond flours) doing regular keto not to mention the veggies. The last two days my teeth/gums have been very achy as well. Amazing. So glad to see my body dumping this stuff.

Daisy, that is so awesome to read!! I’ve experienced the same thing (digestive issues for decades, sigh) and for you to be able to go out and eat with no stomachache afterwards was fantastic!! I’m so excited!!

I kinda had a similar experience yesterday. I was hungry for our dinner meal. I usually don’t experience “hunger” signals very well and haven’t for years. Also, when I start to eat I get full quickly. Yesterday though, that pork roast was mighty tasty and so I ate to a bit beyond ‘satisfied.’ I wasn’t uncomfortable stuffed but I was totally full. Normally, I would’ve paid for that the rest of the day/night with a war in my gut. It’s was smooth sailing for me instead. Such a big “wow”! I’ll be looking for your Brazilian steakhouse update here with hope to read more good news!! :heart:

I’m sooooo excited!! Dr. Shawn Baker’s new book, “The Carnivore Diet” is supposed to arrive here on Tuesday!! I can’t wait to start checking it out. :slight_smile:

I really appreciate this post/information. I was eating pretty close to carnivore for several days recently and noticed a sudden resurgence in joint pain in my fingers/hands and knee. In my mind, I was definitely starting to toss some accusations towards too much meat/beef. I have already started dialing back high oxalate foods in my daily eating due to some noticeable negative effects - this makes sense now.

(Cheryl) #236

Wow! What an active group!!! You may notice I’ve changed the title of the challenge thread.

I just made a big batch of breakfast sausage patties for the freezer. I’m still using herbs and spices. Does that make me a “dirty carnivore”. That sounds so naughty I may get a T-shirt printed! Woot!!! A red one! :rofl:

I’ve not been exemplary in my food choices but I’m making progress. It’s a much bigger adjustment than I’d bargained for but I’m in it for the lessons and the results. Cutting myself some slack for being imperfect (I have a perfectionism thing I’m still working on.)

You guys make up an awesome team and I’m so happy so many are so actively involved. Thanks for being such great partners on this journey.

Don’t worry about the labels. We’re all trying to stick to our all meat diet. I don’t drink coffee and some do. Some use spices and others don’t. I use salt and some don’t. You’re making progress and that’s what counts. {{hugs}}

Yesterday:

eggs
ham
beef brains
blood sausage
pork roast (I stuffed myself with no digestive issues, yipee)
fats

Wondering what are the ingredients? Store bought? It was a breakfast staple when I was in England 20 years ago.