Cheese and hidden carbs

(chad) #1

So does all cheese have carbs? Are there hidden carbs that the label doesn’t show?
I looked at 2 brands and ones says 0 carbs the other is 1. But it looks like pretty much the same ingredients

How do you know or how do I find out about hidden carbs

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #2

Yes, cheese has carbs. Some cheese has more than others. It is made from milk which has carbs. I read that the longer a cheese is aged the fewer carbs because bacteria use it for food. May be what you are seeing is a difference in age or a difference in how a manufacturer chooses to list carbs based on the parameters they are allowed to work in.

Go with the lower carb choice and use wisely.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #3

The first label is just more honest. I’d go with that one. I’d think sharp cheddar would have fewer carbs than medium since it’s aged longer.

Also important to remember that it is impossible for a label to be 100% accurate. It’s not fraud, it’s just not realistic that it can be. They are helpful anyway.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

Most full fat cheese is 1 gram per 1 oz serving. Processed cheese is higher. Some cheese will say <1gram per serving. So the deal is they can claim 0 carbs if it is less than 1 gram per serving (1 oz)

So if you eat 3 oz you might be getting over 2 grams of carbs.

SNEAKY BASTARDS

(Bunny) #5

Natural cheese usually has 0 carbs (like naturally aged cheeses without sugar, wine, chocolate additives and preservatives etc.)!

Processed cheese has carbs (like the individually wrapped sliced cheese etc.)!

Cheese has barely any carbs anyway so not much to worry about!

Fresh cheeses (e.g. mozzarella, ricotta, cottage, cream cheese, …) have more carbs because they have lactose (it’s a milk sugar). When they drain off the whey for harder cheeses, they lose a lot of the lactose. And as cheeses age, the remaining lactose is slowly converted into lactic acid.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

As an afterthought I looked at the labels closer and the (Extra Sharp <1g.) is probably more honest in my opinion. The Kraft cheese likely follows the loop hole rule less than 1% of RDA you don’t need to claim it. Insignificant amount.

I keep cheese under 1-2 oz a day so I don’t worry about it.