#cheapketo

(No I'm not mad - that's just my face) #1

I found this in the cheese section at the grocery store. 1.49 USD. Super satisfying. Makes great #carcheese

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!

In quebec, where cheese curds is considered the manna of god’s (and a crucial ingredient in poutine), you pay for cheese curds through the nose…but, of course, they try their best to get it to retail within 24 hours being made, and it is not stored in refrigeration (it destroys the flavour and texture).

(Kelly LeBlanc) #3

This still works out to $12/pound. Or $26.45/Kg. Not cheap, just a small serving.

Here’s an example of a popular grocery store chain in Montreal, Quebec. The small snack size packages (60 g) range from $28.20 to $39.80. And these aren’t the high-end cheese curds…just plain stuff (but, still pretty freaking delicious).

https://www.iga.net/en/search?t={D9CE4CBE-C8C3-4203-A58B-7CF7B830880E}&k=Cheese%20curds

So, as a Québécois would probably say: osti de calisse de tabarnak

(Jacquie) #5

Travelling through Quebec many years ago, I don’t remember seeing cheese curds but the cheese shops east of Montreal and travelling towards Quebec City were fabulous.

(Lisa F) #6

Jacquie - they were on your poutine…smothered in gravy :slight_smile:

(Jacquie) #7

Don’t tell anyone but I’ve never had poutine.:open_mouth:

(Jacquie) #9

Epic fail for me. :wink:

It is probably a good thing you didn’t try it…

(Jacquie) #11

I’ve heard. If it was sweet and creamy, well, that’s another story.

(Lisa F) #12

Sadly there is no keto poutine…somehow cauliflower smothered with cheese curds and ketofied gravy does not excite me much…

(No I'm not mad - that's just my face) #13

That particular portion was cheap. That’s a “I’m fat adapted and only need 1.49’s worth portion”. :blush:

Hey, @Janis_keto_beetch, I’m curious. Did you find it in the store in the refrigerator section, or at room temperature? The québécois sell it at room temperature, to keep optimal taste and texture.

(Richard C) #15

I can buy a 16 oz package at the local grocery for $4.29. A quick zap in the microwave restores them to a reasonable facsimile of fresh curds but fresh is best.

Nice cheese curd hack! I like it!

(No I'm not mad - that's just my face) #17

Refrigerated section. We over refrigerate here to compensate for our pathogen ridden (conventonal factory farmed) food supply. :upside_down_face:

Haha it’s probably the pathogens giving the curds optimal taste.

Screw yogurt, this is the québécois probiotic!

(Kelly LeBlanc) #19

DON"T! It’s the one thing I still crave.

(Dany Bolduc) #20

I’m working on perfecting a keto poutine.
I am from Quebec and after making my avocado fries i’m 100% convinced i can get there.

Just need to work on fries size and cooking temp & time to get the right firmness and resistance to the sauce.

I’ll post the winning combination once i have it

Cheers