Charting a glucose curve

I just got my glucose monitor and tried it first thing in the morning. I am not diabetic, testing myself is new to me. I followed steps for charting a glucose curve, results:
TO-99, T3O-61, T6O-96. The food I used was coffee, two teaspoons of coconut oil and a new sweetener I am trying out which is SweetLeaf stevia Ingredients:(inulin soluble fiber, organic stevia leaf extract, silica).
My question is what made my (T3O-61) so low? Coffee, stevia, faulty test strips? I was fasted when doing this.

(Jim Russell) #2

It could be that you had an insulin response which dropped your blood sugar briefly since you had no sugar in your blood. It shouldn’t be the coconut oil, that shouldn’t cause any insulin or blood glucose change.

I would suggest doing your test again to see if it was just a one time fluke or bad test that gave the low result. Then if you get the same result, try it again on the individual ingredients. Try it with black coffee (with or without the coconut oil) and then try it with the sweetleaf in some water.

There is a seeming contradictory effect from coffee. Some short-term studies have seen it increasing insulin resistance and raising blood sugar, but pretty much every long term study shows a decreased risk of T2 diabetes with a dose-response relationship. i.e. the more coffee you drink, the lower your risk of T2DM.

Thank you for your response. I will try your suggestion, testing each individually will have better results.

(Davey B ) #4

Add to Jimbo’s comment… Try without the sweetner next time as that is the ingredient that likely triggered an insulin response over the other ingredients.

Good luck with your experiment!
Dave

Thank you for your comment. I am hoping it’s not the stevia, however I have a feeling it may be. I thought this sweetener would be alright to use occasionally because it didn’t make me crave anything after I used it.