Changing minds victory!

(April Harkness) #1

People are watching.

One of the Md’s I work with came up to me… she has been asking questions the past few weeks. She knows I brought my A1c down with keto and she has seen it with her own patients. She has watched me lose weight and MAINTAIN it.

She approached me today asking if I would be interested in talking with her patients about low carb eating. (I think she is afraid to say keto,but hey, taking this as a victory. Low carb it is!)

I am not a registered dietician.

And even the MD who wants me to do this isn’t quite sure what my scope is, so I am doing my own homework.

So….I can’t prescribe. Obvious. But I can suggest.

https://nutritioncertificationreviews.com/nutrition-advice-qualifications/

Excited that an MD wants lil ol me to assist her in giving dietary “suggestions”, recipes, etc.

(Susan) #2

This is really fantastic, April. I am so happy for you. I have been so impressed with all of your accomplishments and Keto journey. You are an amazing lady and I really respect and admire you =).

('Jackie P') #3

I highly recommend this book. Inspired by a Dr Unwin who won the NHS Innovator of the Year award in 2016, who wrote the foreword, and recipes by Katie Caldesi and her husband. It is a whole course on LC eating and preventing and managing T2DM.
If I was going to run a course I would use this as reference.
Good luck, what an honour😊

(Marianne) #4

That is wonderful!!! You are a walking inspiration.

Hope this doctor isn’t afraid of you including “high fat”/low carb.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

The terminology is inexact, in any case. I use “keto” and “low-carb” interchangeably, because any diet on which carbohydrate is meaningfully low is going to put the person into ketosis. And anyone not cutting carbohydrate low enough to lower serum insulin might as well not bother, regardless.

(Ken) #6

April,

For me, the important thing when either giving.my lecture or merely explaining the concept to an interested person, is to explain that a perpetual VLCHF condition is not required to maintain good health, but is required to lose fat. It’s understanding the role of glycogen when shifting from fat loss to Maintenance that is key. Too many people push the preposterous dogma that somehow you have to eat less than 20 carbs a day in order to be healthy. This is what is responsible for the idea that Keto is unsustainable and restrictive. Once someone understands the Science involved with glycogen and the need to prevent chronic overcompensation during Maintenance, the rest is easy.

(April Harkness) #7

I would never push 20 gms a day…nor carnivore. I am going to take the approach i had when i was a personal trainer. If someone came to me to learn how to squat. I would never load them with a barbell to start. Bodyweight squats first followed by a light dumbell squat or/and Squats with a broomstick. Eventually a bar with plates. This is how i will approach this new responsibility i have been given.