Changing Doc need help

upcomingdoctorappo

(Aloy ) #1

Im a healthy 33yo A1C 5.3 (same over the last 10 years) but 3 of my grandparents and mom struggle with diabetes. I saw many of my mom’s eating patterns in myself and decided to get off of my carb addiction so I started the Keto lifestyle in mid January. As a result My skin looks better, my joints aren’t cracking as they used to (i assume reduced inflammation), I sleep better and wake up more easily, I stopped taking Adderall for ADD, I’m overall happier, have less anxiety, I have more energy (I’m a preschool teacher and I need lots of it)… and I told her that. I respect to my doctor’s knowledge, education and time invested in earning her degree, but she didn’t support my decision with all the good this lifestyle does which I thought might happen. I didn’t mind her not agreeing with me but her job is to offer lab tests and other ways to track my health. Since she was pretty passive and I felt ignored I found a highly recommended (described as “open minded”) GP doctor which I have an appt with on Tuesday.
This is where I need your help: I’d love to bring with me to the appt the most updated and reliable research out there about this lifestyle. My goal is for him to work with me to monitor my health regardless to his own personal belief. Who knows? He might get interested enough to convert :smile: would you kindly link me so I can Show him the science? Thank you in advance and best health to you all.

Check out the info in the FAQ. Lots of stuff there.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #3

@Aloy
Gift him a copy of "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living " by Phinney and Volek.

It was written by and FOR medical professionals

(Tom) #4

I kid you not, this book is on my nightstand right now.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #5

Reading that right now, it’s pretty tasty. And, yes, it’s the perfect gateway drug for a doc you wanna get hooked on keto. It reads well and has a sizable bibliography.

If Dr. Skeptic is particularly resistant to all this “new information,” steer them towards Gary Taubes’ many fantastic books and articles exposing the bad science behind current nutritional guidelines and the economic reasons fueling it. It ain’t so new as they think.

(Jo Lo) #6

If they won’t work with you on LCHF ask for a referral to a doctor that will. Stress the family history of T2D. You will send a message that they are not meeting your needs in terms of preventing a serious condition!

(Aloy ) #7

That’s a good idea. that would be my plan B incase the new doc wont work. Thank you!

(Aloy ) #8

I just ordered the book. Thanks Brenda! Also, I just heard you on 2KD podcast. you rock and an inspiration for women.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #9

Thank you @Aloy!!

(John) #10

I thought a lot about what I would do when I finally went to a doctor having had quite a bit of success, he said he liked keto diets and wants to track a few related things and all is well. Lot of anxiety for nothing. Wait to see what he says before worrying too much on educating him. I would prepare for personal questions like why you chose the diet, why do you stick with it, how do you feel it helps you.

(carl) #11

These are the three studies I showed my doctor:

(Aloy ) #12

This is perfect! Thank you, Carl. (And thank you for your Carl’sHead pizza and all you do!)

(Michel) #13

Hi All

Thanks for the great references, wanted to face my wife’s complaints on my low VLDL and increased LDL, as much as facing my Family doctor soon.

Mike