Chaffles!

(Amanda) #1

Bought a waffle maker and joined the Chaffle gang! Was missing a simple sandwich/wrap so thought this may be a good alternative, first attempt wasn’t great, got it around the third batch. They are a bit chewy but I put that down to the mozzarella. They are quite filling though, I feel like I’ve really over indulged! Made a couple to try with salmon and cream cheese for tomorrow’s lunch.

What are everyone’s favourites?

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #2

I love egg mayo as a chafflewich filling. And ham, cheese and lettuce ain’t bad either. Anything’s sandwichable, really! :rofl:

And they’re amazing for cheese on toast.

And sometimes we have them straight from the machine, hot and topped with mushrooms and cream…

Tip to combat chewiness - for a soft breadlike consistency, whizz the batter with a stick blender. For four full-size square chaffles (sandwiches for two people) I use two eggs, 4 tbsp grated mozzarella, half a tsp baking powder and a knob of butter. Soft and fluffy, and no need to grease the waffle iron!

I sometimes make sandwiches ahead of time and pop them in the freezer (depending on the filling). Or they keep beautifully in the fridge for a couple of days.

You’ll find loads more Chafflespiration here: Chaffles

(Amanda) #3

Oh my days, they all sound and look amazing! I hadn’t thought that far ahead but now I’m super excited! Keto just got a million times better!

Tad worried I’ll be putting weight on now though :rofl::rofl:

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #4

LOL - don’t worry about that - have fun chaffling! For us they’re a weekend thing at the moment (we have soup for lunch during the week as it’s been too cold for anything else) - but I’m looking forward to a summer of sandwiches!

Are you a Brit, by any chance?

Yesterday I added some cinnamon, poppy seeds and crushed walnut to mine. Came out really good. One can really change up the flavors easily.

(Amanda) #6

Yep! What made you question it? Couldn’t be my accent :rofl:

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #7

Cos you talk like me!

‘Tad’ and ‘oh my days’ were the clues…

You might’ve spotted that I referred to ‘cheese on toast’ rather than ‘toasted cheese’ - non-US food vocab is a dead giveaway for Britness round here!

:uk:

(Amanda) #8

:rofl: I’m more proper English than speaking English properly!

I can see why we appear posh though with phrases like ‘tad’ and ‘oh my days’ I don’t even notice I do it!

Anyway Chaffle chat… I’m excited to try the cheese and ham toastie. Might try a tuna melt too :yum:

For me, chaffles are a game-changer. They’re great savory. Or sweet. And work well as bread or a bun. The basic recipe is 1 egg and 1/2 cup of shredded cheese, which would make two chaffles.

Check out the technique in this video

The Serious Keto YouTube channel has many videos with chaffle variations

My Chaffle Tools

To make my chaffles consistently, I put the mini-waffle maker on my kitchen scale and then do:

• 10 grams of shredded cheese
  • 25 grams of beaten egg (or batter)
  • 10 grams of shredded cheese

The cheese on the top and the bottom helps to keep the chaffles firm and crispy. And no overflow of contents making a mess because I eyeballed the amount of filling incorrectly. Oh, and don’t stack the chaffles if you make a number of them. It keeps the heat within them and makes them soft. I see some videos where they put them individually on a cooling rack. That helps the cheese crisp up as the chaffle cools.

The fun thing is watching the weight go down as the chaffle cooks, as water leaves as steam. When it hits 40 grams of weight, I know the chaffle is done. :slight_smile:

I bought this shaker bottle, so I can do a lot of eggs (or batter) at once, to store in the fridge so it’s ready to go. With my method of creating the chaffles, it’s much easier to dispense 25 grams of egg/batter out of that shaker cup.

I’ve tried a number of different recipes, but I keep coming back to the basic recipe above. It’s savory if I spread some Jalapeno cream cheese on it. Or sweet if I top it with SF maple syrup.

I typically use an Italian blend shredded cheese. But if I’m doing savory, I might go for a sharp cheddar.

An example of a sweet chaffle:

• 3 eggs
  • 1.5 cups shredded cheese (I put in my Magic Bullet to make them like a flour)
  • 2 tsp coconut flour
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • Liquid monkfruit sweetener

Whenever I make a batter for sweet chaffles, I always pulverize the shredded cheese into a powder. It mixes in the batter better, and the final product has a better texture. I need to spray the waffle iron if I don’t want a batter to stick, but don’t need to when I layer the shredded cheese top and bottom.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #10

I’m not a chaffler but incase you haven’t seen it, up to about 700 posts now!

Have fun! :cowboy_hat_face: