Certified keto concept

(Brad) #1

Could be applied to many things.

https://certifiedketogenic.com/

(Michelle) #2

agree!! Happy to see this come about. Would help when sending someone non-keto out to the store - “just grab the things with keto certified label”! ha ha

It’s being done by Brian Williamson at Ketovangelist, otherwise I would’ve considered it to be a marketing ploy to exploit the ketogenic diet, so I’m glad it’s someone who genuinely cares about keto.

(Jacquie) #4

I`m coming at it from a different perspective in that I don’t see any specific food as keto. To me, it’s a marketing ploy and has already been done by The Paleo Foundation.
http://paleofoundation.com/certified-paleo-products/

I agree. This smells like a marketing ploy.

It will create a royalty-like payout, to Brian Williamson (great passive income for doing almost nothing).

This additional fee on the product is then passed to you know who…you, the customer.

I have a hard time understanding the premise of what gets certified. Does Dijon mustard get keto approved? Do egg whites get keto approved? How about low fat ricotta?

The only place I see this being useful are manufactured products that don’t require nutritional labelling. Like multivitamins (I.e. Do they contain starch, sugars, etc).

For all other foods, there is a nutritional label on prepared foods. Which shows grams of carbs, fats and protein. So…why add a cost to food?

Lame.

Like when you see “gluten free” labels on bacon or something.

(Paul Jaeger ) #7

I think that there is some hesitancy because of the tendency for the big food companies to water things down to meaninglessness. Organic is almost a meaningless term in the supermarket. There was also the Atkins food that was not very good for low carbing in general. It would be nice to have it, but if you have an idea of the basics, avoiding the bad stuff isn’t too difficult.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #8

And their bottom line. They’re charging $1800 a year per product for the privilege.

Don’t you think that the review process and any laboratory testing has value? Why is it so bad to charge money for some service?

I understand the skepticism since this is essentially a marketing technique and many of these labels such as “organic”, “heart healthy”, and “sugar free”, etc. are almost always an attempt by companies to get someone to buy their products even though they often seem to violate the spirit of the intended label, even when it isn’t intentional, at least at first; at some point the food “scientists” believed in these terms, such as “heart healthy”, even if they’ve eventually come to understand otherwise or emerging science has proven otherwise. I’m thinking about “heart healthy” Cheerios.

However, for ketogenic eating, haven’t many of the questions posed on these forums and the Internet proven that many people don’t really understand what a carbohydrate is or the difference between broccoli or peas?

What about the so-called “low-carb” meal company that shall remain nameless that capitalizes on the name of a doctor that’s an early adopter of the LCHF movement?

Putting aside skepticism, wouldn’t you like to know if someone has reviewed the ingredients in a product and determined that it doesn’t contain hidden carbohydrates and the result is something that can be safely considered when eating a ketogenic diet?

What about the validity of “kosher”, “gluten-free” or “vegan” for people who choose those ways to eat?

Many of the early adopters of LCHF/keto have educated themselves and may find these labels to be without value, and even if I come across a product that is certified as keto, I’m still going to read the label and determine for myself if this is something I want to eat, but if someone else can use that information to make informed decisions when considering products to be purchased, I’m all for making that information available to them - even if it means that someone, somewhere makes a profit.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #10

The AMA twists facts and buries research to maintain the authenticity of their Heart Healthy label. When the number on the bottom line has more than one comma in it, goals change.

Can you point me to where on the website laboratory testing will be used? What tests will be done in laboratory? I may have missed it. I went back to look, but cannot find it.

(Brad) #12

I would find more value on products rather than ingredients ( cheesecake vs. cheese). Part of the power of Keto is the learning, figuring it out. IMO that is why we end up believing things that are not true. Slap a label on everything and you turn your brain off and just look for the label. Depending on the rules of any labeling group, you may be told it is good or bad when in fact it is not.
Example is peanut butter, some say no, some say yes, iifym, inflammatory, etc.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #13

This. It’s also why I never use GPS to find anything. Brain maps, y’all.

I don’t think this is about legally binding accountability at this point, but no, I see nothing about laboratory testing and instead speaks to the intention to inspect the ingredients.

Do you have any suggestions for laboratory tests that would be considered acceptable proof? I’d be happy to pass them along to their contact email address for consideration.

https://certifiedketogenic.com/about/

We do that by inspecting and ensuring that foods contain acceptable ingredients and DO NOT contain unacceptable ingredients, in order to satisfy our rigorous standards for what can be considered allowable to anyone on a ketogenic diet.

Depends what has to be tested. The website mentions very loose guidelines, without standard definition.

Once the standard is established, the appropriate third party testing laboratories can be used to apply the “pass/fail” verdict.

There are many third party testing laboratories in what is called the TIC industry (testing, inspection and certification). Such as SGS, Bureau Veritas, Inter tek, DNV, TUV, Eurofins, etc. It’s no problem finding a reputable laboratory to conduct the testing. They will gladly send a response to a request for quote or bid.

So, then the question becomes…what are the standards to be rigorously tested?

Great points! I’ve sent an email through their contact page and I’ll update this if they respond.

You’ve created some activity over at the Ketogenic Forums and people are beginning to ask questions about the actual standards that will be applied when making the determination about which products qualify for certification.

Are there any specific laboratory tests that are planned?

Certified keto concept

“There are many third party testing laboratories in what is called the TIC industry (testing, inspection and certification). Such as SGS, Bureau Veritas, Inter tek, DNV, TUV, Eurofins, etc. It’s no problem finding a reputable laboratory to conduct the testing. They will gladly send a response to a request for quote or bid.”