Certified Keto coaching

(Donna) #1

Hi all,
I am a certified Nutritionist with The Australian Natural Therapies Association. I treat predominately with keto and am a fellow Ketonian. I was wondering if any other professionals on this forum knew of any specific Keto coaching programs for Health Professionals?

(Elizabeth) #2

Hi, I found this while searching. I am looking for a course to become a coach. Did you find anything?

(Bunny) #3

@SlowBurnMary Mary may have some good resources for you she usually has a huge list of all kinds of vitals…

Thank you @atomicspacebunny :rofl:

I do happen to have some resources… There’s a program I’m aiming to do in a year or two, which I learned about via master nutritionist Ann Louise Gittleman PhD’s book Radical Metabolism (aimed at coaching midlife and older women towards low carb fat-adaptation, low carb way of eating, and detoxification/fasting - in a more female-centered and flexible way) - where she recommends the Nutritional Therapy Association (a private vocational school) as the only functional-health/nutrient-dense oriented nutritional counseling program.

This online program provides certificates in nutritional therapy focused on foods rather than supplements - their philosophy is founded in the ancestral paleo - which is to say, paleo-keto - research work of Dr. Weston A. Price and Dr. Francis Pottenger! Basically, all about biologically appropriate, fat-adaptation and low carb from an ancestral foods perspective (which well aligns with modern well formulated LCHF/keto). In this program you can pursue lines of inquiry that RD programs aren’t touching, etc.

They have two programs that certify you as either a Nutritional Therapy Consultant (NTC) or Nutritional Therapy Practitioner (NTP) - a great, keto-friendly certification for individualized consulting (not a one-size-fits-all dogma). There’s definitely tuition investment. They also have a free course intro thing.

“The NTC program is a nine-month long online training program that empowers consultants to address foundational nutrition needs, lifestyle challenges, and environmental factors to educate clients on their journey to optimum health. The NTP program is a nine-month long hybrid training program that equips practitioners to address advanced imbalances and deficiencies in the body with clinical level nutritional therapy skills and the Functional Clinical Assessment.”

“Our NTC program is a fully online course offering that can be completed from anywhere with access to the internet. Currently, the NTA offers NTP training programs in the United States, Canada, and Australia. Note that the NTP program requires in-person attendance at three multi-day workshops.”

https://nutritionaltherapy.com/nutritional-therapy-programs/

https://nutritionaltherapy.com/our-philosophy/

And, Nina Teichholz’s new “Nutrition Coalition” focused on changing the dietary guidelines towards low-carb/high fat - affiliated with the non-profit organization, the National Alliance for Better Nutrition. A good resource for professional and legislative reform updates and activism, U.S. based but has a global focus.

https://www.nutritioncoalition.us/the-issue

Yum yums yummy! :herb::avocado::steakcake::fish: :sheep::cheese::coconut:

Colleges for Masters

Found this additional certification program - a 2 week online Cornell University adult education program open to high school graduates.

It’s not specifically keto. But you do get an impressive certificate at a cheaper price than other programs - and can springboard/parlay that as professional creds, and ketofy it.

This certificate program holistically looks at biochemistry, physiology, and nutritional science. In the section about Energy & Role of Carbs it does look at “how diseases like diabetes can be managed by regulating the intake of carbohydrates” at least.

Cornell being a well-known and acclaimed institution, such a certificate carries some clout for those that already have a good foundation in LCHF/Keto and just want further general creds to help clients/students/friends appreciate your knowledge resources more!

I saw on their website they have a 30% discount on tuition til 12/31 (discount code DECEMBER2019) which means it’d cost around $2000 for the two week program, ouch.

And this one is for licensed healthcare professionals who already have at least a Master’s degree (however non-US citizens are accepted with Bachelor’s degree plus licensure), very keto-friendly:

Do you think anyone would take advice from an overweight Keto coach? (“Jimmy Moore Syndrome”)

Depends on the person’s history and level of vitality really - as there are some large-framed and technically overweight folks who are quite healthy, etc.

I don’t think one has to be a Skinny/Emaciated Minnie (or Marty) to be a health coach, but one has to be strong in body & mind! In fact, some larger-bodied obese folks may feel more comfortable working with someone who’s lost 100+ pounds and KEPT IT OFF (unlike JM) but still has some more recomp to do, etc.

I’d like to be a coach. I am a teacher. I find nutrition fascinating and have two science degrees in biological sciences (from the late 1980s, losing worth every year). But I am a large person using Keto to prevent diabetes and dementia, and to augment arts creativity. My gut feeling is that there is an expectation out in the wide world (when I say wide, I mean expanded girth) that health coaches should look healthy. All? Many of those entrepreneurial Keto podcasters and conference presenters ‘look the part’. It’s terrible to admit these shallow values that cut deep into the psyche.

Attribution: https://onlinedoctor.superdrug.com/perceptions-of-perfection-part-ii-men/

Thoughts on Guilt

To me, it wouldn’t matter too much, because you would make the person seeking your help feel understood. You’re going through the same transformation as them and you both know what the other is going through, the struggles, the ups and downs…they fit right in.

When it comes to weight loss, we feel more comfortable with someone who has experienced the same and can teach us by actual example.

Your target audience isnt a group of healthy&young men that just want muscle mass. :wink:

Be the one to start breaking these shallow values :slight_smile: :slight_smile: We don’t do so much in our lives because of fear of rejection and ridicule and more. You go for it if it is truly a path you would like to follow!

Just avoid the shirtless photos lolol. Shirtless ≠ healthy. Skinny ≠ healthy. Metabolic health ≠ being a Ken Doll or Barbie. Suckers will be suckers - there’s plenty of folks looking to merely become healthy-by-association by following this or that trend or internet-influencer or conforming to certain peer groups … as if they are stuck in adolescence.

But there are also millions of large-bodied people out there who are keen to optimize the life & body that they have from the inside out, rather than outside in. Millions of middle-aged and elder folks who are trying to make the most out of the precious time & resources they have to lead a meaningful life.

To work with mature students within one’s own network/community or in a niche on the internet - all it requires is a compelling personal story and/or resource base, maybe some before/after pics (or not), networking skills, and some worthy training creds. There are a number of coaches out there who are high school grads and relying on their own experience and aiming to reach those who can relate to them.

Many supposedly “fit” people who pose & compete aren’t all that healthy on the inside - in terms of biomarkers, mental fitness, and/or substance abuse. By the time they’re 45, 55, they’re metabolically out of whack with fast expanding waistlines - propped up with medications and/or plastic surgeries on the down low.

I think there’s definitely a social need for relateable, authentic coaches who practice what they preach and who have a service-oriented vision, and who are lit up about nutritional healing because they LOVE it.

Well, I’ve gone and written it down now. So as my yoga teacher tells me that thought is now manifest as an intention. The writing down of it has some kind of psychological power. Thanks for your feedback. I’ll see what happens.

This is not an idle post. There was the one time that work put on a staff conference and they booked a fast talking, highly coiffured motivational speaker. It was terribly annoying and more akin to a flatulence concert. But we were asked to write down our intentions on a slip of paper. It was supposed to be about improving at work. I scoffed and rebelled and wrote I wanted to be surfing and drawing more, and building a house in the countryside. I had no conscious intention to do such, they were pleasant daydreams. Others wrote about promotions and building the business and new stuff (cars, TVs, high life crap). By the end of 2016 I/we sold our apartment, moved across the country, left that job (it was a good one), started planning a house build, was surfing in a wilder sea, and filling visual diaries with ideas. All this was ketone fuelled. Sometimes interpreted as non-scale victories.

WOWowow… yes indeed, good reminders about the power of intention.

This one’s a mostly-online Masters degree for health coaching & community ed - with onsite weekends once per semester.

This is a pricey MS, and has a public health/community education focus.

(Troy) #17

No affiliation :laughing:
Just another option(s)

https://keto-adapted.com/keto-coach/

That’s really handy, thank you!

Another great graduate program, easily ketofied - and they have a bunch of other natural medicine trainings. They have facilities in Portland OR and Hawaii - but all their programs are also online:

https://achs.edu/program/master-science-holistic-nutrition