Centurians - people who have lost more than 100 lbs

(Doug) #163

Wow, Jenny - congratulations!

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #164

Looking good! Congrats on the milestone.

(Jane) #165

Amazing! Your skin looks so much healthier also!

Congrats! :slight_smile:

(KCKO, KCFO) #167

Looks like mother and daughter collage. Well done you.

(Wenchie) #168

Amazing!! Well done!!

(MyLove MyLife) #169

Amazing Transformation

(Bob M) #170

Dang, that is amazing!

(Kirk) #171

fantastic!

(JohnnyD) #172

So inspirational, Kenneth! You made my day…thank you and continued healthy eating.

(Retta Stephenson) #173

I’ve lost over a hundred pounds (190 so far) but hesitate sometimes to mention it, for one reason. The first thing most folks say is “How long did it take you?”

I want to say a LIFETIME. A lifetime of trial and error. A lifetime of trying everything conventional wisdom told me, only to fail, over and over and over again. And when I regained, I’d pack on more than before, until my top weight was 460. I was fat, sick, ashamed and desperate.

When I finally stumbled upon low carb (later keto), it was the very first time in my WHOLE life that I lost weight (slowly), and actually kept it off. I actually went through a couple of years of feeling angry for all the junk advice the well-meaning so-called experts told me, and the inference that I was just lazy and not trying.

I have a lifetime of disordered issues with food to overcome. I’m doing it finally, but now that I’m not a young chick any longer, it’s slow. But I AM doing it. And that makes me so thankful to all those who promoted low carb and keto, so that desperate people like me could find hope and success.

So… when I’m immediately asked how long it took, and knowing how fast so many others do it, it feels like a putdown when I must say it took me around 10 years of getting my act together to get this far. I have around 70 lbs to lose still. Yet I am confident that I will get there.

Even with detours along the way such as cancer, and even being in a wheelchair, I am DOING this.

All that to say: when people say how much they’ve lost, please let’s all think twice before deflating their sense of accomplishment by that question “how long did it take?”. If someone offers how long, that’s terrific and can be motivating. But not all of us can bang it out like that, for a multitude of reasons.

Just where I’m at… no offense to anyone intended. Reading all your stories is encouraging and I love this forum! I congratulate all who have had successes. My hat is off to you all! :smiley:

(Brandy) #174

@rettakat- Thank you for taking the time to write about some of the more nuanced parts of your story. Thanks for digging in a little bit to those intimate feelings and putting them out there for us. What you’ve shared is important. I don’t have better words than that right now. I’m just feeling grateful to read something true tonight.

(Retta Stephenson) #175

Thank you, Brandy, for your kind words.

I guess I should have posted a photo. Don’t have many (hated having my pic taken), but found these.

2014-304lb

Guess I need an updated one!

(Jenny) #176

it took me 7 years to lose my 100.

(Jane) #177

You have done an amazing job!

I too am angry at all the [spoiler]bullshit[/spoiler] dietary advice that doesn’t work, makes you fatter and blames the victim when you fail.

You look so much healthier now!

Technically I went from 300 pounds to my current 215 which is “only” 85 pound loss. However, after losing the weight, I started going to the gym and I’m sure I’ve put on at least 15 pounds of muscle.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #179

“Dahling, I have to tell you something. And I don’t say this to everybody. You look mahvelous!”

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #180

Thank you for making me stop and think about asking the question how long did it take you. I don’t think I have ever asked that question, but in my head I do, mostly so I can prepare for how long it will take me not as a reflection of the other person but as a mental prep for myself.

I too started at 406( a little less than you). But I know I am in it for the long haul and I don’t want to feel disappointed when it takes a long time.

We each have our own battles with health. Congratulations on taking control of your health and making a huge change.

(KCKO, KCFO) #181

Such a dramatic change in your eyes. You look a lot happier in the Mar '14 pic as well. You are doing a great job. Keep it up.

(Liz ) #182

Hear hear! Food addiction, bad science, anger at the wrong information that had me restricting calories and exercising my a** off (but not actually because I never lost weight exercising, just got very strong & sore!!). My 100 pound weight loss spanned from 2003 to 2018. Fist bump to you!