Cellular agriculture may be on the shelves by next year

(Jello_Baby) #1

Cellular agriculture is where cells from an animal are cultivated in a lab and used to form muscle tissue. I’m on the fence about it. I don’t know if it will be good or bad.

(Todd Allen) #2

Free ranged, grass fed?

And hopefully it won’t be very expensive in a few decades…

I doubt things will go this quick anyway though there is so many things I don’t know. I am waiting for cheap enough crickets, I can’t even buy them anywhere not online and I am hearing about them since ages… But things go slow.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

I just think of all the resources that will have to go into this process and the vast carbon footprint that will result. And then how much easier it is to let ruminants roam the grasslands, preserving and fortifying them, because the ruminants and the grasses evolved together and feed each other.

But of course, raising meat animals is such an old-fashioned process, whereas growing meat cells in a lab is shiny, new, and technological. (Regardless of whether the “meat” produced that way even turns out to be edible!)

I don’t know. That just sounds so disgusting. I don’t trust “them” to get it right. :nauseated_face::face_vomiting:

(Jello_Baby) #7

I don’t know what it will be like but I heard it tastes okay

(David Cooke) #8

What could possibly go wrong?

(M M) #10

I mean there’s positives and negatives like all things in life
Positives: no killing animals, no mercury in fish, no overfishing
Negatives: creepy science fiction stuff, cost, is it really eco friendly?

(Jello_Baby) #11

Very true