Celebrating One year of Keto

(Kath Galvin) #1

I was a skeptic when my nurse practitioner suggested Keto. How many times had I been handed a meal plan and told to eat less and move more? Was this like all the others?

I had tried raw vegan, juicing, Weight Watchers, TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly), exercise, half marathons, Plant Strong, GAPS, gluten free, Body Ecology and they always made a dent, but never stuck. As a mid-life Mom of one teen, I had dieted my way up the scale to morbid obesity.

I was terrified of fats and red meats with a history of heart disease in my family. How could this possibly work?

But feeling exhausted and weighed down, I took her advice and jumped onto the keto bandwagon last Mother’s Day. I wanted this to be the day I started really taking care of myself in a way that nurtured me and I knew starting that day would be a constant reminder to take care of myself too.

The first weeks sucked! I was working in a home loaded with carbs and I was shaky and hungry those first days. I was popping boiled eggs like they were going out of style. I was scared my hypoglycemic crashes would get worse as I toughed it out. But after that first rough week, those sugar shakes went away. And then my hunger started to go away, Then my TMJ, anxiety, indigestion and achy hips. Then after all that, my body started to release some weight…very s.l.o.w.ly.

I am what is called a “turtle” when it comes to the weight loss piece. My metabolism and adrenals were shot going into this, but I think they’re coming around. Healing starts internally long before some of us can see it externally.

Now I’m down a bunch of pants sizes with a bunch more to go. I may not look like a Keto Instagram influencer, but I am going to stick with this way of living for the long haul. The most surprising gift I’ve gotten from keto is a sense of peace and calm I never expected. I can move through life’s ups and downs easier in many ways.

Thank you for all your posts and sharing your experiences. You helped me more than you’ll ever know.

So, I’ll just keep calm and keto on.

Peace,

Kath

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #2

I love this post. Especially the long view of your slow weight loss and how your body was healing the inside before it got around to working on the outside. Congratulations on all of your victories. I’m so happy you aren’t suffering through another diet plan and feeling failure. This is good stuff for newbies to read. Thanks!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #3

Your post is a very positive message for others. I a little more than a month away from 1 year myself.

Thanks for sharing.

(Kath Galvin) #4

Thanks, Marie. I’d like to help others know there’s more to keto than meets the eye.

Oh yes, Kath! You are so right.

Weight loss is great, but for the first time in my life, I really feel in control, and excited for the prospect of how much better my health is.

Great story, Kath. Happy Mother’s day!

(Trudy) #6

Love this story, similar to many. Came for the weight loss, stayed for the lifestyle!

(Carl Keller) #7

What a great Mother’s day gift Kath. I hope you went back to that nurse and told her what an angel she is.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your story, it is encouraging for me to see that even if slowly the weight loss may eventually show up after more healing!

(KCKO, KCFO) #9

Congrats! Many of us have been down that path too. It is always good to realize it is never too late to follow the right pathway.

KCKO.
fireworks

(Marianne) #10

Amen; this NP is way ahead of his/her time. I wish one of my stable of doctors had told me. Glad you found each other!

(Jennibc) #11

Congratulations on your perseverance! You have the right attitude and you will make it to your goal! Thank you for sharing this with us.

(Heather Queen) #12

Not to sound discouraging but if you dont have any other explanation for your slow weight loss, have you tried a gallbladder cleanser? A sluggish gallbladder can not convert your hormones from thyroid correctly and could be slowing you down. I did the apple juice cleanse nothing else I’ve tried was effective. I know apple juice isn’t Keto friendly but you can do apple cider vinegar instead. If you google apple juice gallbladder cleanse it will come up. The first time I did it I felt weak but different on the first day after but on day 2 I was bouncing off the walls. I had as much energy as my 2 year old. I also dropped from a size 18 to a 14 in the first week after the cleanse and down to a twelve by the second week. And kept loosing without trying for the the next year or more.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #13

Hi Heather. We’re pretty pro science around here so if you want to recommend something like a cleanse please site your source so the OP can read the info and take it into consideration for herself.

How long did it take for the tmj to stop? Currently suffering from it and it’s causing a lot of problems mentally

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #15

Mine was always rather erratic, even before keto, but I’d say it was about a year after I went strict keto that I noticed not having problems any longer. If tempromandibular problems are related to inflammation, this would make sense, because the arthritis in my finger joints and my knees improved dramatically around the same time.