Cast iron skillet/spatula epiphany

(Damon Chance) #21

I just watched a youtube video with the Avanti featured… looks good I’m going to do it. Thanks Ernest!

(Ernest) #22

You are welcome. And please get a mask and gloves.
It gets messy,really messy.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #23

Can you link the video?

(Jennifer) #24

I find the regular lodge skillets are a bit steep sided for me. I REALLY like their pro-logic skillets with the more rounded sides. I have the 10 and 12 inch on the stove at all times. They are awesome.

http://shop.lodgemfg.com/skillets-and-covers/pro-logic-10-inch-cast-iron-skillet.asp

http://shop.lodgemfg.com/skillets-and-covers/pro-logic-12-inch-cast-iron-skillet.asp

They just came out with 10 and 12 inch dual handle skillets just recently - I guess too many folks were sawing off the handles in order to get the pan into their smokers. lol… These are on my wish list.

http://shop.lodgemfg.com/prodcat/dual-handle-pans.asp

(Damon Chance) #25

This one goes through polishing and reseasoning after removing all of the factory seasoning.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #26

Interesting video, but in my opinion, he’d have gotten much superior results by using tallow instead of Crisco.

(Damon Chance) #27

Definitely… I’m going to use the steps and my just use a different oil.
I can buy lard at Wal-Mart or I can use avocado oil… I’m afraid avocado oil has such a high smoke point it may not polymerize well.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #28

Thanks for posting. I think I’m gonna polish mine.

(Ernest) #29

Use coconut oil. I’m sure you got some.
Best cast iron seasoning process is…wait for it… Cooking in it.

(Sophie) #30

In other words, use bacon juice, it worked for Grandma! :wink:

(Ernest) #31

Funny how everything comes back to bacon juice right?
Liquid gold

(Linda Culbreth) #32

In my neck of the woods, you can find cast iron skillets of various sizes most of the time at the thrift stores. Cheap & seasoned!

(Shayne) #33

I LOVE my cast iron. I have a 6", 10",and 12" skillets as well as a “chicken fryer” and a six quart soup pot. The larger skillets get used the most. In my opinion, you don’t need to either polish them or season them as a separate activity as USING them will do both of those things.

I also have a full set of heavy stainless steel that I use when cooking something I don’t want to leave in my cast iron - like a tomato or cream sauce.

I don’t think I even own a nylon spatula anymore… but I have at least four metal spatulas!

Paul Wheaton has a great article on cast iron, including how to season, clean, and cook in.

For those considering cast iron, the most important is to never let it stay wet.

Also, try to find a spatula with a straight edge on the front, not rounded. A rounded spatula will scratch the seasoning off. Using a square spatula with cast iron is so much more pleasant, imho, too.

(Bobby B.) #35

100% agree on this thread. I’ve been using this fish turner and spatula and LOVE IT! Total game changer!! I’m also in the process of re-seasoning both of my skillets so they will be nice and smooth.

How does that make sense? It seems like it would be the opposite.

When you press down on a rounded spatula to get the edges down, the middle, most forward part gets most of the pressure and scrapes the seasoning. A spatula with a straight front requires very little pressure to use. The corners of the straight spatula should be rounded though to avoid scratching.

Keeping a round spatula handy isn’t bad if you’re working with a round pan and need to get food out of the edges. I’ve got a pan with a slightly higher middle where this happens.

That makes sense, I thought this is what you were referring to.

(Suzi Smotrycz-Guilford) #39

My mother always cooked with cast iron. It took me way toooo long to appreciate how versatile this amazing piece of kitchen equipment is! You can go online and find all kinds of neat types on care and seasoning.

I was at Waffle House last night (yes, you can eat Keto there!) and their counter was LINED with their small cast iron skillets… OH, how I wanted one SO bad! You KNOW theirs are seasoned well!