Carrying the Message

conversationstarters

(Keto in Katy) #21

My sister is on board and I think she has her husband looking seriously at keto as well.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #22

Thatā€™s one way of looking at it.

(Liz ) #23

I mean would I rather not have become obese for decades? Sure! But being relentless in figuring out what was wrong is going to prevent me getting diabetes (which runs in my family) so my future is much brighter now for it, even though I suffered & damage was done.

About 16 months ago I was on The Biggest Loser - Transformed, Australia.
I am still in touch with the other constestants, none of whom are keto or even carb restricting.
Many of them are still struggling with weight, and just about all of them are mad gym junkies who work out hard to try and keep their weight down.
I have posted a link to the 2 Keto Dudes blog and also Dr Jason Fungs blog and page on our secret FB page.
Fingers crossed "-D
Most of them just think I am a slightly batty old lady, but I am a SBOL who has reversed NIDDM and keeping my weight down doing keto !!

(Renee Slaughter) #25

Ok had my luncheon with my friends and it went really well. They took notes and were very impressed with lunch. I had a FAQ session where I answered questions I thought they might have. So I think they are going to try keto. We will see.
I told them to take their BS to see where it was PP. One of the girls called me and said her by was 85.

(Mark Rhodes) #26

I have taken this to NO longer mean the inevitable genetic disposition and instead take it to mean this- My family ate a heavy carb load frequently, throughout the day, going back generations. Each new generation passed on the predisposition in the womb and then at the table. This is how it ran through my family at least.

(Mark Rhodes) #27

This is awesome! I reread the scroll and counted a minimum of 34 people directly taking up KETO from 13 people. That is how we do this. I learned in a different way of life that if I want to keep it I have to give it away. That I can carry the message of hope based on what it was like, what happened and what it is like now. Applies to Keto as well.

(Rob) #28

Based on my success of losing 10Kg, I now have my team leader eating low-carb (Iā€™ll take that as a half-victory), one of the other guys in the team properly Keto and another dithering, but still canā€™t get his head around high-fat to lose weight.

Also got my mum (aged 77) started on Keto this weekend.

We lead from the front!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #29

Wife found a tasty video of ā€œeasyā€ low carb foods (things that I probably wouldnā€™t eat for pickiness reasons), and sheā€™s restarting the program she used to do when I had my largest commitment to keto level LC. So, it might be that sheā€™s coming, but on her own terms.

My brother has gone keto, his wife is a maybe (she loves sugar), my supervisor recently started, and a coworker and his wife are planning to start after Easter.

One of my coworkers successfully lost some weight on keto before and when I started again, I asked her to be my ā€œketo buddyā€ if she ever got back on. She did, and we had a great time discussing it in the office. I work for an artisanal foods company where we eat a LOT and bring food in a LOT, so she and I have brought in a ton of keto snacks for folks to try. We even got two other coworkers thinking about it, but of course the usual excuse of ā€œbut I like bread / potatoes / pastries so much so I could NEVER do keto!ā€ have come into play. My keto buddy has fallen off the wagon and interest is waning.

Iā€™m still going, however, and spending my downtime at work today compiling a Google Doc that is a simple visual reference including images of all the things I CAN eat on keto, broken down into ā€œsnackā€ / ā€œlunchā€ / ā€œdinnerā€ / ā€œdessertā€ categories. Iā€™m going to share it with all of my coworkers who expressed an interest in keto when itā€™s completed.

Iā€™m also hoping my continuing weight loss and Facebook posts might serve as inspiration for someone eventually.

(Sophie) #32

My biggest successes are my sweet cousin and hubbs, partially. My hubby has quit diet cokes for the most part and lost over #11 but he is a tough one about the Wasa bread and carbs from potatoes which I only fix for him occasionally. So, still working on that one. My sweet cousin went to Keto naturally and told me it was intuitive for her to eat this way, yet she still thinks peas are healthy. :roll_eyes: Itā€™s just education. One thing she did do was pass on Keto to a cousin on her other side who is a RN and she was very receptive to Keto and asked lots of questions. Iā€™m hoping that little ripple spreads wide! Now, if I could just get my dear friends to give up all the carbage they eat! It dumbfounds me sometimes. I mean they have seen me go from Morbid Obesity down to Over weight in the 7yrs Iā€™ve known them. Theyā€™ve seen me keep it off too, for the most part, yet it seems it takes a diagnosis of T2D to make any of them Wake the F-Up!

Outstanding! My Mom is 76 and I would love to get her on board. I have gotten her eating more eggs, bacon, and sausage. I advised her to fire any doctor stupid enough to tell her not to eat eggs.

(Jessica) #34

My husband is supportive and is mostly keto (cooks keto dinners, packs a keto lunch for meā€¦Iā€™m a lucky lady). It really resonates with him because his father had heart disease from a condition at birth. When his dad ate an avocado a day he did well. When the doctors told him that would kill him and he needed to cut out all fat, but sugar was OKā€¦well, he died at 59ā€¦looking 89. It still makes my husband furious knowing the doctor recommended, avoidable, dietary contributions to losing his dad so young.

On a happier note, a friend of mine started keto last week.

(Shantanu) #35

IMy contribution:

1. Got my Mom started on this last year. Sheā€™s 73, and 6 months in, she says sheā€™s feeling the best she has every felt in decades. She was vegetarian but started eating chicken for keto and hasnā€™t looked back since.
  2. I refrain from talking too much about keto in meal settings but the sight of me pouring melted butter on a fatty steak :joy: is too much for someone or the other on the dinner table to ignore. I usually point them to The Magic Pill as well to the Dudes and Diet Doctor (most people want to skip the science and want to know what to eat).
  3. After the 25th reunion of my engineering class last November, a number of my college batch mates have started on keto and have reported very good results.
  4. Still working on the wifeā€¦she too has stopped eating sugar, most grains and has upped the level of fat.

Regardless of who I speak with about keto, I always emphasize that its important to determine what works for the individual and I rarely debate anyone peddling junk science like balanced diet, CICO, 6 meals a day, etc. etc. People tend to go bananas at the thought of eating fat and its a waste of breath debating them.

(Mark Rhodes) #36

And I respond ā€œbut you already do that donā€™t you?ā€
ā€˜What?ā€™
ā€œGive up foodsā€
ā€˜Erā€™
ā€œYeah, you avoid bacon and burgers, good lamb chops, salami all because of the fat contentā€¦you ALREADY limit foods you LOVED at one time. This is the same thing with different foodsā€

(Shantanu) #37

Toucheā€™

Haha - NICE reply! Iā€™ll be sure to use that one next time!

(Diane) #39

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Rob) #40

Like many of us, I am trying to evangelize the keto WoE. Yesterday I read through this old thread and had to agree with the change in how we see the world post ketoā€¦

One funny thing is that I keep bumping into people I know, typically younger and or healthier, who have been doing it for a year or longer but I never knew. So there I am going on about it after they mention my weight loss, when they start laughing and saying something like ā€œI canā€™t believe you are now telling meā€¦ā€ remembering my trips to Krispy Kreme and bringing dozen boxes to work or whatever. That said, Iā€™ve done more research than them typically and they have more experience than me so there are still useful discussions to be had.

As to non-Ketoersā€¦

1. Iā€™ve got my Mum and Dad to go LCHF (about 60-80g carbs vs. 150-200g). Dad has reversed his T2. Mum now taunts me with pictures of keto meals she can make in the UK that I canā€™t do in the US! :frowning_face:
  2. I have one Aunt who is now more carb conscious (already fairly LC) but trying to pass it on to her T2 friends. We have also tried to optimize her supplements e.g. adding D3/K2, Mag, etc.
  3. Am in negotiations with another Aunt who seems to be heading down the dementia/AD route to consider her Keto options for prevention (this will be hard since she is fat-phobic)
  4. Got a friend who has just got through serious cancer treatment (chemo/radiation) to go keto for prevention/recovery purposes
  5. Analyzed a few friendsā€™ diets to offer up a keto perspective on what they eat/do - weā€™ll see how that goesā€¦

Anyway, it feels good to pay it forward.