Carnivore / Zero Carb March 2017

(Henna Selnes) #55

Befor keto, I had what every person 50 and over would call, arthritis. It hurt to think about moving,ha! Not really arthritis. But after keto,I felt like I was 20 again. I absolutely love ZC way of eating,but not sure I want to wait for the healing to happen. I keep saying one more day,then add another day. I do drink a lot of water and water type drinks. Maybe it is an imbalance…I will have to add up and go over what I am taking. Thanks for the suggestion!

(Arlene) #56

If it were me, I would cut out the added electrolytes altogether and just eat plenty of real salt with your meals. Also, look into adding some iodine drops to your morning water. There’s plenty of information about that subject online.

(Henna Selnes) #57

I was thinking on that also as I was making dinner, and adding smoked salt to the meat. Maybe it’s too much salt plus the extras. I do take a vitamin with the extras in it,magnesium, kalium, iodine, ect. Thank you for the suggestion. Going to give a few days electrolyte free and just vitamins and salt. I shall see what happens. Thank you!

(Arlene) #58

Likely not near enough iodine in that multi. This is an important subject to research.

(Henna Selnes) #59

That I will.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #60

I’ve struggled with ZC this month and I’m back in now! ZC reduces my inflammation so much. I’ve had 2 Saturday girls nights out with red wine, which in themselves weren’t the worst, but the following day each time I gorged on chocolate. I also didn’t plan this well, my Hubby finally dove into keto in February and I’ve eaten small amounts of the foods I’ve been cooking for him too keep his first few weeks tasty. I’ve learned I’m not far enough into keto yet to have killed old habits, but I can make it back :blush:.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #61

Could this be a reaction to a particular kind of protein, a sensitivity? Like pork, beef, poultry? I tried to find a few articles I read on protein, but I must not be searching the correct terms. @Fiorella did a 32 day protein test, perhaps this could help you test your reaction to different proteins?

(Henna Selnes) #62

Hi Becky, yes in a way i have done a form of experimenting on myself. The water retention is gone. I have found ( oh please don’t kick me out of the keto club ) bacon,yes bacon makes me retain water. Pork in general closes my throat,soooo ja, can’t eat that. Chicken,does the same. But, with chicken I can eat a very small amount,like a few bites off of a thigh,then the same, throat closes. Also the plus of ZC or finding out what I can eat because of the clean eating with this, is also some veggies are ok, but others I end up with itching. I am using ZC ( beef, lamb) as a base, then every few days add something,then go ZC,to clear myself,then try the next. So far, berries, brassicas, seafood, beef, lamb, lettuces, all dairy, squashes are okay. Chicken, pork, night shades, even spinach but in a small dose, I am allergy to. I am working on just clearing now, so ZC for a few days.

So no pork rinds ect for me,that is what made think food allergies the last time I tried ZC challenge. I have not documented anything, just know I don’t want to go thru all that again,lol.

When I ate carbs,I had no idea I was so sensitive,I just thought I needed another shower because I would be itchy again. Oh well live and learn. Glad I am learning! :sunglasses:

You didn’t mention fish. I imagine you are ok with eating fish? It’s a fantastic ZC food. Great omega 3 source!

(Henna Selnes) #64

Oh yes fish,I did say seafood. Is that different in English? Honestly I don’t like shrimp, clams, oysters. I do like scallops and crab though. I have no problem with fish,goes down easy. :grin::fishing_pole_and_fish::tropical_fish::fish::crab:

(Henna Selnes) #65

No wait,check notes,throat closes with tuna. I really like tuna.

(Arlene) #66

I have learned, through MANY trials and errors that old habits may never die. In other words, I have learned to keep my guard up, as though my old habits are always waiting in the shadows for just the right weak moment to take over my life again and steal my joy. Stay back, you lousy old bad habits!!!

(Adam L) #67

I had a great start to ZC March which included my own self imposed restrictions on dairy & sweeteners. Started to drift a bit last week, had some sugar free chocolate, a couple of beers, then some dairy. With my wife as close to starting low carb as she has ever been I have decided to do keto excellently from this point rather than doing ZC poorly. I’ll still have plenty of ZC meals and possibly revisit a ZC month a bit later in the year. Comparing my experience of ZC January with March no doubt being off work on holiday the first 2 weeks of Jan was an awesome way to start a ZC month, was able to stay very focussed, have found it tougher this month.

I think striving for the perfection that is sweetener & dairy free ZC is an incarnation of a classic bad habit of mine - striving to do too much, over thinking it, grappling with whether to cheat, cheating, then getting down on myself for going off the rails. I’m just going to keep the keto train on track, drop that dairy & see how I go. All the best for the rest of March ZC’ers.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #68

Here’s to smooth keto tracks! Well written and exactly where I’m at. It’s exiting to have the spouses involved, it was so much easier when my husband said he wanted to cut the grains out and “wow he’s feeling better”, I’ll cut the starchy veggies and “wow I can see the veins in my feet”. My Hubby is supportive of the ZC too, he has been know to say “goodie, more caulimash for me!”

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #69

Not the bacon :sunglasses::sunglasses:!! I would give up bacon in a heartbeat if I discovered this and I’m very happy for you that you are pinpointing problem foods and have a process to eliminate more foods. Your attitude seems so positive, stronger than mine was when I went through such a “mourning” process 7 years back when I discovered gluten was causing so many issues for me, I was euphoric for feeling better but frustrated that I felt “deprived”… little did I know what I really need to be doing beyond cutting out gluten :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Just thought I’d share…I started my own little ZC experiment on 3/6/17. (I restarted keto 10/25/16 at 163lbs. Happy to provide info on the additional weight I lost before that doing keto and before that low carb if anyone interested but highest weight was about 275 give or take on the day I gave birth to my daughter.) I am 54 years old and 5’4" tall. I eat min 94 G protein and about 60-70 g fat each day. And I had been eating less than 20 g total carb each day. I did strict keto from late October through early march and made it to 127.4!! I also did periodic fasts of 36-72 hours as needed. Then decided to try ZC after reading about it on other websites and FB groups. In last 14 days I have lost an additional 5 lbs and also 5.25" from the 4 areas I measure!! (With no fasting days.) I am so satisfied and energetic and happy without plant food!! Until yesterday I only ate beef (though had two days where I substituted wild salmon for a meal.) I eat breakfast and lunch only. Yesterday for second meal I had three scrambled eggs and was down a pound this morning so decided to do them for second meal again today. Breakfast every day is a huge fatty grass fed steak! I had two nights over last two weeks where I had a bit of vodka or tequila, but that’s it and they’re ZC. No mixers. I cannot get over the results!!! I still take my daily supplements too (5000 iu of D3, 450 mg of magnesium malate, 600 ? ALA, 200 mg Potassium, MK-7 (K2)). If you’re thinking of trying this, I strongly encourage it!! So much easier than you think and so nice not to have to cook much or buy much.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #71

Thank you, what a wonderful way to characterize this. I agree that they may never go away. I like that now it’s not an automatic knee jerk reaction with old habits and has moved to a conversation in my head, and I’m hoping the volume in my head will diminish to whispers overtime. Thank you, I will remember “steal my joy” :blush::hugs::grinning:

(Khara) #72

@AmandaJones Any update on your leaky gut and candida? Did zero carb seem to help any? Hope you’re well.

(Karen) #73

Please weigh in on your zero carb results for March. Interested in ZCfemales, I see mainly men in ZC and am thinking of trying ZC. What nsv and weight loss victories did you acheive???

K

(Sondra Rose) #74

Karen, lots of female testimonials at www.meatheals.com and www.zerocarbzen.com.

As for me, I have been eating a “Dirty Carnivore” diet for a couple of years. Animal foods plus dark chocolate, tea and spices. Occasional salsa or pickles… In March, I ate ground beef and salt almost exclusively, with some black tea and heavy cream. By cutting out any sweet tasting things, I ate less due to better hunger signals, had no carb cravings and dropped 5 pounds effortlessly.

I am 5’6” and 126lbs.