Carnivore/Zero Carb Do I fit in?

Hi all, having reached my goal weight so to speak , and maintained for a year or more, initially LCHF and then and still Keto, I decided to try and build some muscle. So I have added some resistance training every other day to my daily 45 mins workout. I also walk a lot, trekking to be more precise. Up and down the Cumbrian Fells and even Everest Base Camp, not so long ago.
I recently decided to increase my protein and drop all veg. Which I have done for the past 12 days and feel great and shall continue for atleast a month, to see how it goes.
A couple of days ago, I thought wow I can feel my muscles getting tight across my back. Then I realised I had my tee shirt on back to front. Ha ha.
My diet now consists of, meat, eggs, fish, cheese and extra thick cream. ( I am aware of heavy cals from cheese and cream but do keep it sensible).
Not exactly Carnivore, maybe Zero Carb ?.
Stats. Male 65, 5-5, 129 pounds, handsome and fit as a robber’s dog. (smile)
Put three pounds on in 12 days, hope it’s muscle. Is that possible or should I kick the cheese and cream into touch ?.
Thank you in advance for any replies.

(Elizabeth ) #2

Sounds like muscle to me, I did keto for 2 years and now I’ve been carnivore for five months, and keto you tend to restrict protein and since you’re not doing that now you’re replacing the muscle that you’ve lost from restricting and also age-related sorry but I’m almost 62 so I understand haha

(Genevieve Biggs) #3

That is Zero Carb! http://www.zerocarbhealth.com/index.php/2015/05/03/what-can-i-eat-on-a-zero-carb-diet/

12 days is too soon to judge. 5lb fluctuation is normal even from day to day. Give it 30-90 days before you start tracking numbers too closely.

ZC 17 months

(Pete A) #4

Sounds great :grinning: I can’t speak for anyone else , but for me you fit!

(Peter Schmitt) #5

Zero-Carb and carnivore are the same; It’s a bit missleading : Only animal foods are consumed ( some people use spices, some not, some drink coffee, some not, … ). Some of them, like liver, ect. , have some carbs but these are considered ok. If your body can handle eggs and cheese, these are ok too. So tecnically, you are already a carnivore/zero-carber.
Good luck for your trial.

Thanks for all the responses. Cheers Jim

Worth noting that you will likely achieve your goals quicker without any dairy (cheese and cream), but do what works for you. It’s a lifestyle. Sometimes once you remove it you realise the negative effects it was having on your appetite and digestion. Either way, congrats on reaching your initial goal weight!

(Jennie Bardsley) #8

I’m interested in whether you kept on with your keto eating on your high altitude treks, and if so, how did that go?

Yes, I am aware of that. But I shall give it the month and then see were am at. But I would have no probs with this way of eating, I am quite enjoying it. Not sure how I would feel without the diary, but shall see.

Sorry, when I went to Everest Base Camp is was in 2009 ( I did not realise it was that long ago) and pre Keto. But knowing what I know now, Keto would not be a problem, plenty of Yak steaks. I would go again tomorrow and have no worries. I never suffered from altitude sickness and I feel fitter now.
The Cumbrian Fells are only 2,000-3,000 ft, not high altitude ha ha, but I do them easy all the time.

Everest Base Camp 2009, you may have to rewind to beginning. Enjoy the trip. I feature towards the end, prob 10.5 / 11 stone.