Carnivore & Vitamin K

(Adam Foard) #1

It looks pretty easy to get almost all the micronutrients needed from carnivore. Other vitamins requirements like vitamin C have been addressed by others.

Looking at the nutrient data I’m not seeing many foods with much Vitamin K. Even liver has very little.

Is there any info on this? Lower requirement or is it just not being reported accurately like Vitamin C in meat?

(Erin Macfarland ) #2

I take a high quality K2 supplement, grass fed butter is a good source but I just want to cover my bases. I’m not 100% carnivore but I think it’s a good idea for pretty much every one to supplement!

(Carl Keller) #3

Vitamin K1 comes mostly from leafy greens. Vitamin K2 can be obtained from some meats. The good news is vitamin K deficency is rare and the main symptom is the inability to clot when you are bleeding.

• goose liver – 369 mcg
  • beef liver –106 mcg
  • turkey sausage – 36.6 mcg
  • chicken meat –35.7 mcg
  • turkey frankfurter – 31.2 mcg
  • salami – 28 mcg
  • pepperoni – 41.7 mcg

(Elizabeth ) #4

I don’t know any long-term carnivores that supplement :wink: If you have a genetic variant and can’t absorb certain vitamins that’s another story but you need to be tested for that.

(Bunny) #5

Grass-fed livestock like butter from cow or goat milk etc. and organ meats are the ones real high in vitamin K or also known as Weston Prices’s mysterious X Factor or Activator X aka: Vitamin K and many other fat soluble Vitamins and Minerals not in grain fed meats or livestock.

(Karim Wassef) #6

K2 comes from animal fat… and does not come from veggies (unless they’re fermented).

K2 is what we really need

Taking Vitamin D3 with K2 enhances is bioavailability and benefits such as reducing insulin resistance. D3 is fat soluable, so eat a small amount of fats with it. Make sure you have K2 menaquinone-7, MK-7, and MK-4 combined for the full body benefits, bones, cardiovascular, calcium deposits, inflammation and brain health.
https://www.bulletproof.com/supplements/vitamins-minerals/build-a-stronger-brain-with-vitamin-k/
https://www.humann.com/nutrition/powerful-combo-vitamins-d3-k2/#section3