Carnivore/ elimination diet

(Michael West) #1

Hi newbie here. Looking some advice on eating a meat only diet, no eggs or dairy. I’m confused by it all as I know I need to eat high fat but then if I eat basically 90% beef & 10% chicken/fish my protein I take will be too high? I have various symptoms, ibs, frequent urination, low libido with all tests & exams negative. I’m suspecting food or multiple food intolerances. I want to eat this way as a means of elimination diet as I’ve went keto before and liked how it helped with cravings but my symptoms (apart from ibs got better) remained and I suspect maybe dairy, eggs & nuts could have been a problem. Basically I’m needing help understanding if eating nothing but steak & chicken thighs will be ok for a period of 1 to 2 months to see how my symptoms react?

I’m on the Carnivore diet but I include eggs and small amounts of dairy. Drippings are your friend. After you cook your meat make sure to keep the drippings and make some sort of quasi-gravy out of it. You could use guar or xantham gum to thicken it if that’s your pleasure. Why not pork or fatty fish as well? You can get really fatty cuts of pork, like pork belly, and I find that salmon breaks up the week for me. Also, use different spices to change up the flavours of the meat.

Good luck!

(Michael West) #3

Thanks for the reply! Sorry I forgot to mention salmon, I already eat salmon often & will continue it on this diet. Pork I haven’t ate before so I will look into it for variation. I’m still confused how I can make sure that the fat outweighs the protein eating like this? & if it matters if I only use this for a temporary diet, although if it done wonders for me i would look at continuing long term of course!

Check this out. Fatty cuts of meat:

(Michael West) #5

All them meats are high in fat but isn’t the protein content higher? Am I being silly?

Maybe someone else will pipe up here. I try not to overthink it and eat the highest fat cuts of meat, with drippings. You can get additional fat from coconut oil, olive oil, etc. We will see what the pros say.

I get my additional fat through butter and Ghee, but if you are dairy intolerant that is certainly not an option.

I’m a severe type 2, and this has been the best diet for me by far. Going carnivore has my sugar almost down to normal most of the time. I still spike, but not nearly what I did on Keto with vegetables.

(Allan L) #7

Hi,

Its % of calories, not gram for gram protein V fat.

Fat is on average x 4 more calorific per gram than protein so fatty meat will easily give you a 75% / 25% ratio

(Michael West) #8

Thank yous for the help. It’s quite confusing! So say for talk sake I had 3 meals a day, 2 x rib eye steaks & 1 with chicken thighs the fat would outweigh the protein by quite a lot? I definitely want to avoid dairy for a while as I get tired & a weird tired strained feeling in and around my eyes after eating it (dark circles around them also). I think it is also affecting my bladder!

(Teresa (turtle)) #9

Check out justmeat.co for a list of carnivore resources/information. Maybe @Dread1840 will chime in here.

(Michael West) #10

Thank you!

(Chris) #11

Especially with fatty cuts like ribeye, the fat content PER CALORIE is higher than the protein content per calorie. It doesn’t just go by weight, especially since the lean contains a large amount of water and the fat does not.

(Allan L) #12

There are lots of online macro calculating tools that will do all the hard work for you, especially the branded stuff. My preference is www.fatsecret.com (or .co.uk) because the web site can be setup to display NET carbs. Others use myfitnesspal etc.

(Michael West) #13

Thank you everyone for taking time to respond. Fingers crossed I can get some answers and start to feel better eating this way it sucks running on about 70% energy at best! Too much stress & junk food other the years! :frowning:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

As I understand it, 100 grams of protein is about 400 calories, whereas 100 grams of fat is about 900 calories. Neither figure is all that precise, but it gives you a rough idea. Keep your protein moderate, and add lots of fat to satiety.